The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Rate my plan...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2012, 03:30 AM   #1
BigBill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Rate my plan...

Sorry in advance if my questions are a bit basic, but I am noob brewer and looking to brew my first few sours as well. I like the idea of brewing an extra gallon and fermenting as a sour using dregs so my plan for my next two brews are:

1. Brew 4G of Pranqster clone from Clone brews (Golden Ale, 6.9%ABV, 20 IBUs, Wyeast 1214), and then sour 1G in secondary - I would be interesting in hearing suggestions on dregs to use to sour. Unfortunately in MA, doesn't seem to be a lot of choices of sours so far all I have found are Rodenbach Grand Cru and Orval....

2 Brew 5 G of Orval clone. 3G would be "uninfected" 1G would be soured using Orval dregs (aka a true clone) and then I was thinking of taking a step further with the last 1G and see if I could make it even more sour. Maybe sour with dregs rack on tart cherries? Suggestions welcome here too.

Finally just curious but anyone ever sour a fat tire clone? I've got 5G on the stove right now so I am curious. IBUs are a bit higher so i am not sure that would work....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBill View Post
Sorry in advance if my questions are a bit basic, but I am noob brewer and looking to brew my first few sours as well. I like the idea of brewing an extra gallon and fermenting as a sour using dregs so my plan for my next two brews are:

1. Brew 4G of Pranqster clone from Clone brews (Golden Ale, 6.9%ABV, 20 IBUs, Wyeast 1214), and then sour 1G in secondary - I would be interesting in hearing suggestions on dregs to use to sour. Unfortunately in MA, doesn't seem to be a lot of choices of sours so far all I have found are Rodenbach Grand Cru and Orval....

2 Brew 5 G of Orval clone. 3G would be "uninfected" 1G would be soured using Orval dregs (aka a true clone) and then I was thinking of taking a step further with the last 1G and see if I could make it even more sour. Maybe sour with dregs rack on tart cherries? Suggestions welcome here too.

Finally just curious but anyone ever sour a fat tire clone? I've got 5G on the stove right now so I am curious. IBUs are a bit higher so i am not sure that would work....
Rodenbach is pasteurized so there won't be any viable bugs. Orval has Brett B so those dregs will give you some funk. I'm sure someone else will echo this, but Jolly Pumpkin beers are a great source for very active bugs (and avail in MA).

Oldsock's blog has an extensive list of commercial beers with microbes: http://www.themadfermentationist.com...tle-dregs.html
I'd also recommend reading his post on 'Brewing Sour Beers at Home'.

Rather than pulling a gallon from your primary and using the jugs as secondary, you may want to consider fermenting your 1 gallon sour/funky batches separately by copitching a sacch yeast strain & dregs.

Brett can play nice with higher IBUs, but usually 10 IBUs will inhibit lacto & pedio.

Almighty has a long thread about brewing 1 gallon sour beers that is worth a read too: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/eas...-dregs-189748/

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 03-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

You probably get Lindeman or Timmerman products in your area. Both companies have a gueuze out that is not pasteurized so there should be viable dregs.

No petrus products? I would also be surprised that you do not get Jolly Pumpkin beers.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBill View Post

There's a ton of options in MA that stock dozens and dozens of sours. Julio's in Westborough has a massive selection. In the Boston area there's a lot of options (Blanchard's, Liquor World in Porter Sq).

What about Canton Village Wine & Spirits? Super Discount Liquors in Stoughton? The Whole Foods in Dedham? I haven't been to any of these but they seem like they might have some stuff.

If you can't find anything nearby just head out to Julio's... you can grab a really tasty sub at Wegmans and do some grocery shopping while you're at it (and they have a big beer selection too).

Old 03-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcHokie View Post

Brett can play nice with higher IBUs, but usually 10 IBUs will inhibit lacto & pedio.
Some strains of lacto is inhibited by 10ibus like the strain sold by White Labs. Pediococcus is not very hop sensitive. I have a mixed culture ripping through a wort at 9% and 27ish IBUs. There's plenty of sourness developing. I just wanted to correct a common misconception. The sensitivity of lacto is strain dependent.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:48 AM   #6
BigBill
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the input. I was able to find a few more sours at Whole Foods in Dedham (including a jolly punpkin). I will modify my plan accordingly aka co-pitch with dregs that actually have some bugs. Thanks for all your help.

Quick Reply