Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Raspberry Sour Beer Experiment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2009, 05:15 AM   #21
Mr. Nice Guy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Red View Post
MNG,
That sounds De-Lish! I just secured 3 54oz containers of raspberry puree and am thinking oof a couple brews to make with it. Something very similar to Lindemans is what I too, have in mind.
Could you summarize and streamline your recipe including all the "i would do it differently next time" etc. ?

I have been thinking a lot about this project and am ready to go for it this summer.
Here is a simplified 5 gal recipe:

5# Extra Light DME
12 oz honey (honey bear!) at flameout
10-15# frozen raspberries (I used the equivalent of 15#, freeze and thaw twice)
2 oz oven aged hops 4-6% AA 60 minutes
5 oz lactose
Neutral ale yeast (I used muntons but anything else would probably be an improvement; nottingham, s-04, us-05, etc...)
lacto culture

Make a regular wort with the DME and hops. Let this sit overnight or until very sour with a lacto culture. I used a sourdough culture for this. The next day boil for a few minutes with lactose, flameout, add honey, cool, then pitch yeast. Let ferment for a few days until vigorous fermentation is over. Add the raspberries in a grain bag (sterilized with heat, campden or nothing) pull the bag out after a week or so. Rack to secondary after fermentation is over then age for a month.

Bottle with 5 oz corn sugar, age for a few weeks. Refrigerate for a month or so and ENJOY!

Note: to oven age your hops cook them on low for 2-4 hours. For the lacto you can let some grains sit overnight in your brew pot instead, I'll look the method up for those of you who want to try it/ don't have a culture handy. (credit to Charlie Papazian for this tip)

Try adding 1# lactose instead of 5 oz if you want this to be sweet.

10/13 on the way - Strong Ale!

Last edited by Mr. Nice Guy; 07-11-2009 at 04:26 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2011, 12:55 AM   #22
leviticus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey Mr, you still making this? Any updates to the process you would suggest? Gonna have to figure out the lacto culture prior to doing it, but I wanna give it a shot.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:12 PM   #23
BenjaminBier
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 14

omg dude, nicely bumped thread. i'm going to try this as well. the wifey loves framboise, and i gotta say, i can drink a few of them without complaining.

For the lacto, lots of different ways to get it. What Mr. Nice Guys is taling about is basically a sour mash. He used a sourdough "mash" of flour and water, but you can use brewing grains and water, too. ReverseApacheMaster here at homebrewtalk has a detailed write-up on sour mashing at his blog. The quick and dirty is you mix a portion of milled grain with a portion of 100F+ water and let it sit for a day or two until it sours.

I'm going to try Mr. NG's version but all-grain and i'm gonna sour the whole mash, aw snap!

pandas are bears

Old 06-04-2011, 02:25 AM   #24
BenjaminBier
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Here are some sour mash directions for a 3 gallon batch.

Reserve about a cup of milled grains until you are done mashing.

Dough in with 6 # US 2-Row and .25# US Carapils into 8 Qt 165F water and rest for 60 mins, should stabilize around 150F for sacch rest.

When conversion is complete, stir in your reserved grains and cover the surface with foil to limit exposure to oxygen. I didn't photo this but you can imagine what a cup of milled grains sitting next to this pot would look like.

Cover and let sit at 100F+ for 24 hours. Here I'm using a heating pad from the local pharmacy set to high.

After 24 hours, heat sparge water to 180F. You will need about 10 qts of water at 180F. You are going to "tea bag" sparge this twice. See Deathbrewer's Easy All-Grain instructions.

When you remove the foil, you are going to see that air is trapped under your grains. The smell is sour milky. You may have a bit of rotten garbage smell in there, but the warmer you keep your sour mash, the better smelling it will be.

When you drain out your mash, you don't get very much wort out of it - it is sour, thick, juicy, and trapped on the grains. Here's what I got out of my first tea bag "runnings," I'm guessing about 3 qts. Thus your sparge water is nice and hot and you want to "tea bag" sparge twice - once in 6 qts and again in the last 4 qts of water.

Boil, hop, cool, aerate as usual

pandas are bears

Old 06-28-2011, 10:12 PM   #25
BenjaminBier
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Oh man, I never boiled a sour mash before - that really stank. The beer itself was rotten to smell up until the last week. I just transferred to tertiary to clear, it's tasting nicely tart and slightly sour.

I did add a full pound of lactose to attempt a sweeter flavor but it isn't really sweet at all - just very full bodied.

pandas are bears

Old 07-31-2011, 05:35 AM   #26
Mr. Nice Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I had one from the original batch recently and it was great!

I haven't brewed it again but the sourdough culture worked great, I haven't had many sour beers I liked as much as this one.

10/13 on the way - Strong Ale!

BenjaminBier Likes This 
Old 08-18-2011, 03:41 AM   #27
BenjaminBier
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Cracked open a few bottles this week. Tasty!

pandas are bears

Old 08-18-2011, 04:03 AM   #28
jtakacs
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

awesome looking frambdoughzen!

Old 08-18-2011, 04:26 AM   #29
JasonToews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Im currently ageing a lambic at the moment, going to add the rasberries next year but I think I will definately add fermcap hehe seeing your giant rasberry explosion.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:08 AM   #30
BenjaminBier
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

this ages really well. just cracked one and it's pretty awesome. this bottle I let sit in the fridge for about 4 weeks and it's tasting really really smooth. the aroma is also cleaner.

pandas are bears

Quick Reply