Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Raspberry Sour Beer Experiment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2009, 01:33 AM   #1
Mr. Nice Guy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Raspberry Sour Beer Experiment

OK... I'm not going to try to classify this beer because I don't know what it is, maybe ya'll can help. I decided to make a sour raspberry beer my own wierd way, lol... here it goes...

I took a gallon of water and put in a pound of extra light DME and a 1/4 cup of honey, boiled it for a while, then added my starter. The starter was a slurry from a sourdough starter I made and a cup of the boiled beer. The starter is only wheat flour and water which is naturally soured from the lactobacillus on the wheat. I let this sit for 2 days wrapped in a sleeping bag over a heater vent. The first day it was only a little sour, but the second, wow, super sour and actively fermenting as well. I then took my sour and boiled it for a couple of hours with anothr 1/4 cup honey, 1/4 cup lactose and a teaspoon of oven aged argentine cascade hops. It had no hop smell that I could percieve but boy did it stink up the house, so sour I could hardly take it. I let this cool till it seemed cool enough (did I mention I broke my thermometer moments before I needed it!) and pitched some muntons ale yeast and a tiny pinch of yeast nutrient because of all that honey. It tben fermented rapidly for a day and built up an inch or so of lees (and trub too, oops). It has now been a week and as soon as my wife and I can drink another gallon of Carlo Rossi (yeah I know...) I will rack onto 36 oz of raspberries and let it ferment for a month or so before racking again. I'll probably add more lactose too, I want a little sweetness with the berries, to me they need it.

I'll update this as appropriate, and maybe when not as well, who knows...

I guess I have a Frambdoughzen, wow really bad joke...

10/13 on the way - Strong Ale!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2009, 07:13 AM   #2
ericd
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You boiled it after you added your souring culture?

Old 03-07-2009, 08:59 PM   #3
Mr. Nice Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yes, this is a technique I got out of one of Charlie Papazian's books. It is a "sour mash" beer, some people call them pLambics or psuedo Lambics. It is not a Lambic though, just a different type of sour beer. I wanted to do something different but I am not up to making a real lambic yet, they have to age so long. Lindeman's Frambozen was my inspiration.

I watched this show last night, "Three Sheets," it is about this guy who experiences drinking culture all over the world, he went to Delerium and Orval Breweries in Belgium... pretty cool...

Old 03-08-2009, 08:05 AM   #4
lordbeermestrength
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nice Guy View Post
OK... I'm not going to try to classify this beer because I don't know what it is, maybe ya'll can help.

I guess I have a Frambdoughzen

yup, thats exactly what it is! Let us know how it turn out!

Beer, happy Produce of our Isle/Can sinewy Strength impart,
And wearied with Fatigue and Toil/Can cheer each manly Heart.
Labour and Art upheld by Thee/Successfully advance,
We quaff Thy balmy Juice with Glee/And Water leave to France.
Genius of Health, thy grateful Taste/Rivals the Cup of Jove,
And warms each English generous Breast/With Liberty and Love!
(Rev James Townley, 1751)

Old 03-12-2009, 06:31 PM   #5
Mr. Nice Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

OK...
I racked onto 36 ounces of raspberries yesterday. I brought them to 150 for 10 minutes or so with a splash of water and a teaspoon of turbinado sugar. The berries are being pushed forcefully to the top of my fermenter and yesterday night I let off some berries so my airock wouldn't clog. I tried the vodka in the airlock, mmm raspberry vodka...This morning, full airlock again, I just left it like that in the bathtub.
I tried the beer on its own before racking onto the berries and was very pleased with it, I think it will be great. I'm actually kind of surprised, I thought it might be pretty bad, lol...

Old 03-23-2009, 06:20 PM   #6
Mr. Nice Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Update:
So the night I just "left it like that in the bathtub" it exploded with great force! I had a plug of raspberry on my ceiling, and all over the walls up to 10 feet away. Seriously bad! The next day, being so smart and all, I bought another bag of raspberries thinking it would be a solution to all that headspace left, and hey, the fermentation had mostly stopped. Guess what... another explosion! This time I just left a bunch of headspace, I gave up. The good thing is it tasted GOOD, better than lindemans I thought. I'm going to get a 3/4 gallon carboy soon and rack it off the berries, hopefully it isn't oxidized.

I now know, no more fruit in a mostly filled carboy, I left a few inches in my gallon but it needed more. It was strange how the fruit "levitates" ovet the CO2.

[/IMG]

Old 03-24-2009, 05:18 PM   #7
ericd
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts

OMG !!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-24-2009, 05:24 PM   #8
Lou
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nice Guy View Post
Update:
The next day, being so smart and all, I bought another bag of raspberries thinking it would be a solution to all that headspace left, and hey, the fermentation had mostly stopped. Guess what... another explosion!

it sounds to me like you wanted another explosion...

Old 03-24-2009, 05:37 PM   #9
noisy123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am trying something very similar. I let the wort sour with a handful of grains. Then boiled. I have not added fruit, but the blow-off has been intense. Its in a 6 gallon fermenter and the 5.75 gallon batch has blown off 0.5 gallons or so of brew. Its quite spectacular. I wonder why soured worts seem so explosive? I haven't ever seen this kind of activity with hefe's.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:39 PM   #10
Lou
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisy123 View Post
I haven't ever seen this kind of activity with hefe's.
really? my hefes are pretty explosive.

Quick Reply