Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Racking my sour to secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 06:04 PM   #11
AmandaK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd View Post
So is that Acetic acid I taste in Rodenbach? and it is living in their wood? It's not part of the Roeselare blend and I'm guessing if you wanted some of that character it'd be safer to add some vinegar at packaging time. -OR- is the vinegary taste that I get from that beer something else?

slightly off topic, but the OP and I are making near identical batches concurrently and I'm curious.

and thank you for sharing your BOS Lambic recipe and notes AK.
Yes. The reason Rodenbach (IMO) is so dang good is the complex intermingling of acetic and lactic sourness with the oak/fruit/malt flavors. Based on this source, I would say it is in their wood. I get it from bottle dregs since Roeselare doesn't have it. I don't necessarily want it, but it's in some of my favorite beers, so it goes in. I just have to be mindful of any oxygen sources during aging/transferring/bottling.

I would not , however, use vinegar itself to get an acetic character. That would be like souring with straight 88% lactic acid. Yes, it will be sour, but it will be boring. (Mike over at the Mad Fermentationist did a 'quick sour' experiment with lactic acid and Brett, I believe...)

OT, but you're quite welcome! I hope to post the results of the blending I did once my score sheets come back from the UMMO and another comp.
Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply