The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > To rack or not to rack, that is the question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2009, 03:44 PM   #1
cmdrico7812
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default To rack or not to rack, that is the question

So I need help determining if I should rack the Flanders Red I made to a secondary fermenter or not (see my post here for the recipe). In summary I brewed the Gilda PM recipe from the database using the Wyeast Lambic Blend yeast.

The beer has been in the primary (glass carboy) for about a month now and folks in the post I linked to in the paragraph above have suggested I rack to a secondary to avoid yeast autolysis. However, some on this forum in this post here have suggested that I leave in the primary for the entire aging process.

Could someone help shed some light on how I should handle the decision to rack to a secondary or not and how this would affect my beer? I've never done a sour before and am hoping for something with a sour level close to Grand Cru. Thanks so much for your help.

Beer...it's awesome.

Zwei Brüder Brauerei

Planning: Nutcastle Brown, Founder's Breakfast Stout
Primary: Apfelwein w/Cherry
Secondary: Flanders Red, ESB2, ESB3, Hobgoblin PM
Bottle: Black Beauty Honey Rye, Holiday Chestnut Ale, Grumpy Gnome IPA, Sumatran Espresso Stout, Apfelwein, All Jacked Up, Patriot's Amber, ESB1, Belgian Dubbel.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2009, 04:48 PM   #2
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrico7812 View Post
Could someone help shed some light on how I should handle the decision to rack to a secondary or not and how this would affect my beer? I've never done a sour before and am hoping for something with a sour level close to Grand Cru. Thanks so much for your help.
I would rack to secondary. this is going to spend a good long time in there, and it is probably best to get it off the yeast. If a sour beer were a 6 month process, I'd be less concerned, but you're pushing the limits going much further. Sure, poeple have done it, but I wouldn't risk it.

As for it tasting like Grand Cru, do you mean Rodenbach? I think that's the most common sour grand cru around...

Old 03-23-2009, 05:02 PM   #3
cmdrico7812
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, Rodenbach's Grand Cru (sorry, should have mentioned that). Thanks for the advise. So there's one vote for racking. Other's agree?

In Rodenbach news, the distributor won't be distributing to the US until 2011 and my local bar, the Hopcat in Grand Rapids, MI, just ran out of the very last keg in the United States. So sad...so sad (all the more reason to make my own).

Beer...it's awesome.

Zwei Brüder Brauerei

Bottle: Black Beauty Honey Rye, Holiday Chestnut Ale, Grumpy Gnome IPA, Sumatran Espresso Stout, Apfelwein, All Jacked Up, Patriot's Amber, ESB1, Belgian Dubbel.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:06 PM   #4
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 444 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 11

My opinion, which is JUST my opinion.... If I were going to condition much more that 4 -5 weeks, I would rack to secondary to get off the cake.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 03-24-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
cmdrico7812
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well I racked my Flemish Sour to a five gallon secondary last night. I tasted a bit while doing so and it's good. The like a mixture of Rodenbach and Jolly Pumpkin's Rouge (without the sour of course since it's only been a month). The color was spot on too.

Beer...it's awesome.

Zwei Brüder Brauerei

Old 03-24-2009, 09:03 PM   #6
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Part of the souring process involves autolysis of the saccharomyces which feeds the other bugs, but there will still be plenty of (dead) yeast eventually in the secondary so I would have racked off of the primary cake as well. FWIW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 04-03-2009, 08:47 PM   #7
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have a wild yeast that is going right now on a wheat beer. Sunday will make it two weeks. I basically have the same question as the OP.

1st Week - Slow steady activity - No krausen - Last for 5 days and then stopped.

2nd Week - No activity, then it took off like gang busters. 2 bubbles a second out the airlock. Thin brown-like krausen. lasted about 3-4 days. Now its idle.

Question: Should I let this sit for weeks 3-4 then rack over to a 2ndary? It has about 1" of yeast on the bottom of the carboy. Then what?

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 04-04-2009, 06:26 AM   #8
potatoe
Recipes 

If i had 1" in the bottom of my secondary, I would pry rack to tertiary.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:46 PM   #9
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatoe View Post
If i had 1" in the bottom of my secondary, I would pry rack to tertiary.
I agree that it needs to racked to another vessel. Its in the primary. I understand these yeasts work pretty much at a snails pace. However this batch started out moderately slow then went gangbusters. I also understand that conditioning takes a good bit of time for these beers. (6 months -18 months). I'm just wondering if lambics need to stay on the yeast cake longer than today's conventional brewing methods.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Quick Reply