LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
Zippox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Quick sour

I am basically looking for an easy extract recipe to make a sour beer. I've seen a method where you raise the temp of some of the wort to 110 for 3-7 days with lacto in it, then you add some yeast and ferment it at normal temperatures.

Does anyone have an easy extract recipe that uses this method, and where you sour ALL of the wort? (I don't understand why most of these quick sours are really low gravity, i.e. berliner weisse, so maybe suggestions on bumping that up would be great).

I have Safale US-05 in my fridge, perhaps this would work well for this style?

And finally, I'd like this to be as sour as possible so if there are any suggestions please through them out there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #2
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 381 Times on 249 Posts
Likes Given: 21

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f72/alfe...weisse-255777/

Use his lacto starter method

Convert to extract, do a short boil, chill to 110, pitch lacto starter, keep at 110 for 3-7 days, cool to ale temps and pitch us05.

The longer you let the lacto do all the work and keeping the temp at ~110, the more sour the beer will be.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #3
Zippox
Recipes 

Thanks for the reply.

So on the "convert to extract" step I found this conversion: 1lb Base grain = 0.67lb DME = 0.75lb LME

So the original grain bill calls for 6.2lbs of US 2 Row and 5 # German Wheat Malt.

Am I correct that the closest thing to US 2 Row would be Golden Light DME? (http://www.midwestsupplies.com/bries...den-light.html)
-- It would then be like 4.1 lbs of that
Then what would be the best substitute for the German Wheat Malt?

Lastly, how short of a boil are we talking here?

Old 07-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 381 Times on 249 Posts
Likes Given: 21

That is the conversion.

Any light DME will likely do.

Be aware that wheat DME has a portion of 2 row already included in it. For instance Muntons wheat DME is 55% wheat and 45% barley.

So I would back into the percentage you are looking for by using mostly wheat DME and then some light DME.

Some AG brewers do no boil Berliners. If I were you I'd do 15-30 min.

This won't be to style, but in the end you should have a tart and light beer.

There is a bunch of info on here, do some searching and you'll find everything you need.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:59 PM   #5
Zippox
Recipes 

I thought that lacto was supposed to eat the sugars for a long time, eventually getting the gravity around 1.00. Is this incorrect?

I just feel hesitant to bottle this in the normal ale time-frame because I thought that the extra sugar the lacto eats would add too much carbonation.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:34 AM   #6
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Lacto eats a pretty small range of sugars, so it won't get down that low. Even if it did eat everything in its path, changing sugar to lactic acid doesn't drop the gravity the way changing sugar to ethanol and CO2 does. Lacto shouldn't make much carbonation either; changing sugar to lactic acid doesn't result in any carbonation. If you make your wort like you usually would (except with no or almost no hops), you can do a short boil, then ferment on just lacto for a few days. 100 degrees is great, but room temps are okay. It'll get plenty sour in under a week. At that point, you can boil to kill the lacto, or not. Add some yeast, let it ferment out at normal yeast temps and bottle as per your normal routine. US-05 is fine, although you won't notice many differences in yeast character with a pH around 3.

If you don't kill the lacto, your beers will turn into swirling volcanoes upon opening. There's no additional risk of bottle bombs, as the lacto doesn't actually produce any CO2. It just acts as a nucleation site for bubbles. As long as you're prepared for it, it makes it look like slow-developing champagne.

Say no to intolerance: love gluten and lactose.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:05 AM   #7
Zippox
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwood-kid View Post
If you make your wort like you usually would (except with no or almost no hops), you can do a short boil, then ferment on just lacto for a few days. 100 degrees is great, but room temps are okay. It'll get plenty sour in under a week. At that point, you can boil to kill the lacto, or not.
So when you say make the wort like you usually would, do I top off everything to 5 gallons? Or do I pitch the lacto starter onto the approximate 3 gallons of wort I am able to make in my 5 gallon pot?

If you say I do top off to 5 gallons and then pitch lacto, then I am not sure how I can boil all 5 gallons. Perhaps suggestions on that would be good, because I don't want any gushers/volcanoes!

Old 07-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #8
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You can top off at any point in the process. The only worry about a concentrated brew is that the lacto will stop prematurely when the ph gets too low, and that that sourness would be insufficient when diluted. I'd top off when you normally do, and just do two separate boils if you want to kill the lacto. You don't need a sustained rolling boil; you just need to get above 160 for a few minutes. Given the extreme pH you're going to end up with, you might consider adding some champagne yeast at bottling, as it's tolerant of acidic conditions.

Say no to intolerance: love gluten and lactose.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:03 AM   #9
Zippox
Recipes 

I wanted to clarify on the whole "swirling volcanoes" when you don't boil after letting lacto do its thing.

Does this mean bottle gushers when you open it? I don't understand.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:45 AM   #10
milldoggy
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I find the lacto Berliner style sour not the style I like, nothing can repro a slow aged sour. Sorry

My hop stopper

Quick Reply