The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > quick question for first time with JP dregs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
grundig5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default quick question for first time with JP dregs

Just a quick question since this is my first time with wild yeast

I brewed a standard saison (1.060) back in early March and stole a gallon of it pre-fermentation. I finally checked on it last night after about 3 months with JP dregs and it had a really nice bubbly pellicle and the taste is about what I was hoping for. It's at 1.003 and I think I could safely bottle it right?

Guessing I'll only get 8 or 9 bottles but the real reason I wanted to try this was to build up a nice funky yeast starter for a full 5 gallon batch. I dont see that happening for a few months though. In the interim, could I just keep hitting the yeast with small starters to chew on? Do you suggest I wash the yeast or just dump the starter on the yeast cake in the gallon jug its already in?

Thanks for the help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
Almighty
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts

JP dregs are quick workers. With that low of a gravity you are pretty safe. It be completely sure you can check it in another month.

The need for washing really depends on how much trub you have. Brett will use some of it as a carbon source, but there are limits.

And yes adding small amounts of wort over time would be a good way to make sure you have healthy viable yeast when you are ready for a big batch.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:15 PM   #3
Almighty
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts

JP dregs are quick workers. With that low of a gravity you are pretty safe. It be completely sure you can check it in another month.

The need for washing really depends on how much trub you have. Brett will use some of it as a carbon source, but there are limits.

And yes adding small amounts of wort over time would be a good way to make sure you have healthy viable yeast when you are ready for a big batch.

Quick Reply