Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Quick (ish) Flanders?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2013, 01:59 AM   #21
sockmerchant
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

A quick update.

I bottled half of this a couple of weeks ago. I got impatient and tried one last night. Still needs some time to carb up properly, but it is very nice.

It can do with a bit more sourness. However the brett L has made for a very nice beer. Its sitting at about 1.008. So there is a decent amount of maltiness to back it all up.

It tastes a lot like one of my favourite NZ beers, the Galbraith's Strong Ale, which is essentially and english style old ale. It has a very prominent brett character with a bit of sourness.

I am,very happy with how its going. I will check on it again in a few weeks.

The bottles all developed a pelicle though, so there is that.

The rest of the fermenter had some second runnings from a stout I made a few ago added to it. I took about 5L and boiled it with hops for 15 minutes. Its fermented through and tastes quite good so far. I will give it another week or so.

I may be adding some cherry concentrate to it and let that ferment through as well. Or maybe to half of it... we shall see.

Bottled:Belgian strong ale with brett, Belgian strong ale, Belg Amber, Belg blonde, Belg dark Strong, Belg not-wit, Belg tripel, berry blonde, belg stout, coffee dubbel, chili APA, APA, Belgian Dubbel, Rye (Brett) Saison

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #22
sockmerchant
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Second update.

I tried a bottle from the second half of this brew tonight. Since bottling the first half, I messed around with it some more while it sat around. I added some second runnings from a russian imperial stout, a fair bit of montmorency cherry concentrate, and some oak cubes thats been sitting in red wine.

Overall, I call this a success. Its not massively sour/tart, but its definitely in the flanders brown territory. This half has a lot more depth to it.

The second runnings added a pleasing maltiness up front, which is quickly followed by the pie cherry/ lambicus flavours and a decent amount of tartness/sourness that sticks around for a little while.

I have a lot of bottles of this, but will definitely be repeating this process.

Bottled:Belgian strong ale with brett, Belgian strong ale, Belg Amber, Belg blonde, Belg dark Strong, Belg not-wit, Belg tripel, berry blonde, belg stout, coffee dubbel, chili APA, APA, Belgian Dubbel, Rye (Brett) Saison

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply