Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > questions related to Brett

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 05:36 AM   #11
Sebas83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That is to say, it might not smell good, but just let it sit and then sit some more, your patience will be rewarded.

Forgot to complete the thought

-S

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #12
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainK View Post
I added the dregs, but not the juice. I thought I might wait for some additional advice (which just came in, thanks dc I see you did this before). I am anxious to add the juice because I have 5.2 gal. in a 6.5 gal. fermenter. That's a lot of head space. My primary strain 3787 would eat that sugar and leave none left for the Brett adding now I imagine. If I add the juice later maybe the primary strain would be more dormant and Brett would be more numerous. The jug is sealed and pasteurized so it can wait. It does have ascorbic acid in it and cane sugar. Nothing else.

I am picking up that your reasoning for adding later is mostly to allow the Brett to multiply so they will eat it, not because of loss of mango aroma/flavor over time? How does adding the juice at 2 months and the fresh mango at 5 sound?
Ascorbic acid is fine, that won't hinder yeast reproduction.

The longer you wait to add the mango (and the juice), the better. To retain as much of the fruit's aroma/flavor as possible, I'd advise waiting until the beer is almost "done", say 5-6 months after adding the Brett (depending on your OG & ferment temps), then add the fruit for another 3 months or so. If you add too early you'll definitely lose some aromatics to CO2 as the still viable sacch and the Brett ferment out the fruit's sugars.

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 01-25-2013, 05:08 PM   #13
Sebas83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

+1on dc's comment.

There is a stage in combo sacch/brett fermentations where the sacch goes into autolysis and the brett cleans it up (4-6mos). When I did a fruit fermentation, I added right after that is done. You'll know it because the airlock will change from a funkiness to a full on nastiness (rubber. Band aids at the extreme, soy sauce, Worcestershire, nutritional yeast at the least). Wait till that's over then add fruit. That means your sacch is down and just about out in that it won't pick up anytime soon in that environment and the brett will handle the fruit.

Oh! When you've added your fruit and juice, purge the head space with co2. And try not to aerate too much with the fruit. Oxidation is really easy with brett. I dry hopped a brett c saison (c was my primary yeast) with an lb of wet hops and started a whole new fermentation and oxidized the hell out of it... No good.

-S

Quick Reply