Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Questions about brewing with bread starter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2010, 02:20 PM   #11
Dauntless
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Little update, the stout has been infected with a whitish bubbly pellicle that has me thinking Brett. We'll see how this finishes out (50+ srm, 50 IBU) hi hi hi.

Another starving grad student fighting sobriety.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2010, 05:40 PM   #12
Barc
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntless View Post
Little update, the stout has been infected with a whitish bubbly pellicle that has me thinking Brett. We'll see how this finishes out (50+ srm, 50 IBU) hi hi hi.
Whitish, bubbly layer on top of a beer usually means lactobacillus... Although, if they are TINY bubbles, it may be Brett. I've found Brett EXTREMELY hard to come by unless you inoculate a beer with it. Good luck, though.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:11 PM   #13
Dauntless
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Took a sample (more fun than writing an essay of the ethics of avocational archaeology), it has dropped 10 points to 1.015 and for some reason it has taken a real spicy taste. I might just wash the yeast and bugs from the bottom of this thing for a crazy farmhouse ale.

The yeast is just some nottingham slurry, but the sourdough bugs are from the family cottage in lovely rural Quebec, just a stone's throw from the St-Lawrence river. It's got good mojo, kinda strange it makes fairly basic bread (funk-wise).

Another starving grad student fighting sobriety.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:47 PM   #14
Barc
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Notty will IN GENERAL pretty much kill out whatever else is in there, I hate to say. If lacto takes off early, it MIGHT have a small amount of sour. But, experience says that Notty will out-compete and kill off any lacto present. It is hardy and that's what yeasts do; kill off anything else by producing alcohol and they've been doing it for millions and possibly billions of years. That being said, some bugs don't really care how much alcohol a yeast produces and will out-compete them and take over a fermentation. This is where you start to hear "gusher" and "bottle bomb" from time to time. I'd wait until your gravity has stopped completely before bottling... And I'd give it at least a week between gravity readings and take 3 or 4 or even 5 in a row just to make sure. 15 points is a LARGE drop if that thing goes all the way to 1.000.

Were it my experiment, I'd probably take your cottage starter and ferment a small batch with only that. The results should be sour, tangy, and have a fair amount of alcohol in the end. It will probably be different if you wash the cake or even pitch directly onto the cake due to, in large part, what I said above.

One note; luck does play into this. If some bugs are just dormant and not dead, great things can happen. They can take off before the yeast really takes hold and you'll be surprised. It may be a good surprise or a bad one. If you've read anything on here about infections, you'll know what I mean.

Again, good luck.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:06 AM   #15
PiMaxC
Recipes 

I would personally try either a farmhouse or saison

Quick Reply