Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Question: White Labs Belgian Sour Mix I

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2009, 12:42 AM   #1
rbridges01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Question: White Labs Belgian Sour Mix I

Hey Wild Brewers -

I typically use a belgium yeast for primary fermintation and then add the brett to the scondary. I'm using White labs Belgian sour mix and it has :

Brettanomyces, Saccharomyces, and the bacterial strains Lactobacillus and Pediococcus.

Since it already has Saccharomyces should I bother ferminting with my Belgian yeast? I've never done a 100% Brett beer before and want to make sure it ferments out ok. Thoughts?

Peace Out

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2009, 03:14 AM   #2
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I'm curious about this too. I'm doing my first sour beer, and I used Notty for primary fermentatino and I'm planning on using the Sour Mix for secondary. I have read that many people use the Sour Mix for primary fermentation though.

On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Old 03-09-2009, 05:58 AM   #3
ericd
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Usually they say to ferment with a neutral ale yeast then throw in the bugs when trying to replicate lambic at home. I think the reasoning is you don't have as much risk of the batch getting runaway sour because most of it has already fermented out.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I think you would be OK pitching the blend in the cooled wort. The Saccharomyces yeast will work faster than the other organisms and ferment most of the sugars. The other yeast and bacteria will work slower but continue eating the more complex sugars resulting in a funky sour beer.
However some texts have recommended fermenting with a neutral ale yeast first to get a more restrained and better controlled sour.

I have a Flander's Red where I directly pitched Wyeast Roselare Blend. It is still fermenting so i can't comment on the results.

Craig

Old 03-10-2009, 03:16 AM   #5
boxcar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbridges01 View Post
Hey Wild Brewers -

I typically use a belgium yeast for primary fermintation and then add the brett to the scondary. I'm using White labs Belgian sour mix and it has :

Brettanomyces, Saccharomyces, and the bacterial strains Lactobacillus and Pediococcus.

Since it already has Saccharomyces should I bother ferminting with my Belgian yeast? I've never done a 100% Brett beer before and want to make sure it ferments out ok. Thoughts?

Peace Out
just the blend will be just fine, you can also pour in the dregs from a bottle of cantillon or any other non pasteurized, unfiltered lambic for additional critters.

and also, the lambic blend contains sacch, pedio, lacto, as well as brett, so it will not be a 100% brett beer, it will be a lambic style beer

Old 03-11-2009, 11:40 PM   #6
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Am I correct in thinking that a starter isn't necessary for the sour mix?

On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Old 03-12-2009, 07:48 AM   #7
boxcar
Recipes 

imho a starter isnt necessary. you are gonna let it sit for over a year, which will give the bugs plenty of time to do their thing.

Quick Reply