Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Question about a Wild IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2009, 03:40 PM   #1
ace3's carboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Question about a Wild IPA

So I'm working out a recipe that will be treated somewhat like the Victory Wild Devil. I was thinking about a Brett B + L fermentation, but I'm wondering about the time it would take for the Brett to actually make any noticeable flavors in the beer versus how the hops' identity will deteriorate over the time while the Brett is working. I would assume that Brett should take a bare minimum of 6 months to make any real flavor contributions, but that 6+ month period isn't going to be friendly to the flavor of the hops. I want more of a funk than an intense sour in the beer, so I'm wondering if two - three months could do enough for me or if the overall IPA flavor will be killed by giving the Brett enough time to do its thing.

Any feedback?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2009, 06:23 PM   #2
Orangevango
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What I would do would be this.

Brew a 5 gallon batch of a quite hoppy IPA, pitch it with brett only, wait 2 months or so and then brew a SUPER hop-flavored but not too bitter IPA, ferment it with sacchromyces, and take a pint out of each and blend them with a graduated cylinder to taste, noting the ratio, blend them to that ratio in the keg.

If you bottle, it gets more complicated, you have to take the difference in the FG of the brett and sacchromycese beers and use that to calculate how many volumes of CO2 are going to be produced by the brett eating through the left over sugars in the other beer, then adjust your priming sugar and bottle. Im not sure about the calculations for that.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:27 PM   #3
bhatchable
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have had wild devil twice in as many weeks in 750ml bottles. It is amazing. It is actually, according to accounts i've researched, very well behaved if used as primary and only yeast. if used by itself, from my understanding, it will act alot like regular sacc. any all-brett brewers out there? bump for info about a clone or all-brett stories

Old 10-31-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
ChrisKennedy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Never underestimate how much flavor and aroma a huge dry hopping schedule will give you.

We made an IPA at Rock Bottom that was just dry hopped and bittered (it was part of a company wide experiment) and it had enormous flavor and aroma.

Max the bitterness out, and don't even bother with any late hops. Do your brett secondary, give it a couple of months, and then dry hop the ever living crap out of it. You will still have plenty of bitterness, and thanks to the dry hopping, plenty of flavor and aroma. You may cover up the brett funkiness though.

Quick Reply