Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Question about Sour Flavors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2014, 03:08 AM   #1
uatuba
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Question about Sour Flavors

I have never had a sour beer. I had the chance to buy a Gueuze Cuvée Rene today, but at $6.50 for a 12 oz, I wanted to do some digging and see if there was a good chance of me enjoying it.

When I looked it up it had a great rating from the rating sites...but upon reading the comments I saw descriptors like "orange" and "lemon" and "sour patch kids" and so on. This is not what I had imagined a sour to taste like AT ALL. I hate citrus in almost all forms (with the exception of limes). I had always imagined the sour flavors as "dairy-like" sour (which I would enjoy) rather than "citrusy/tangy/tear-jerker" sour.

So which is it? Or are all sours not created equally (I know they aren't...but are they all lemony/vinegary or are some more toward the stinky cheese end of the sour spectrum)?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2014, 03:54 AM   #2
monkeybox
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by uatuba View Post
I wanted to do some digging and see if there was a good chance of me enjoying it.
Ever tried explaining color to a blind man?

Quote:
I saw descriptors like "orange" and "lemon" and "sour patch kids" and so on. This is not what I had imagined a sour to taste like AT ALL.
Oranges and lemons (and tart cherries!) are sour. Most have flavors like citric acid, though it's usually lactic that causes the real taste.

Quote:
So which is it?
Both. Sometimes neither.

Quote:
Or are all sours not created equally
This is why a lot of us prefer the term "Wild Brewing". They're not equal. They're not even predictable.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:06 AM   #3
uatuba
Recipes 

Default Question about Sour Flavors

I am blind, you jerk!

Ok I'm not...just wanted to make you sweat a little

Seriously...if anyone can recommend a dairy-like sour commercial beer, I'm up for trying it. I would have been sorely disappointed with a beer that tasted like lemon Warheads, though...

Old 02-16-2014, 04:53 AM   #4
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 39

It sounds like you are looking for lactic acid, Lactobacillus is what you want to look for. Problem is, most beers are combinations of Pediococcus, Lacto, and Brett. I have found most sours tend toward citric and acetic. I have not had one that I would describe as predominantly lactic (dairy, as in yogurt type sourness).

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 02-16-2014, 04:59 AM   #5
uatuba
Recipes 

Thanks so much! That helps me make my decision...I can scratch them off the list of "things to try when I'm the one paying for it."

Old 02-16-2014, 05:45 AM   #6
BzurkoBrews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Cascade brewery in Portland is only lacto and a little Brett that gets in from the barrels and the fruit. They are my favorite sours. Most people will disagree but I love the lacto bombs the produce. I've been having very good results making sours from stepped up dregs from their bottles. Very clean sours with amazing aroma. I would look on their website and order some of those. Try Vlad the Impaler or Bourbonic Plague. Those are some of their non fruit forward beers.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 02-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #7
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer View Post
It sounds like you are looking for lactic acid, Lactobacillus is what you want to look for. Problem is, most beers are combinations of Pediococcus, Lacto, and Brett. I have found most sours tend toward citric and acetic. I have not had one that I would describe as predominantly lactic (dairy, as in yogurt type sourness).
Pedio is a Lactic acid bacteria. There is no (well there may be a touch) citric acid in a sour, and usually very little to no acetic acid.

I wouldn't have described the taste as fruity. The sourness comes from Lactic acid, which is the acid that sours yogurt.

I realize it is a different type of beer from Cuvée Rene, but a Berliner Weisse is made with just Lactobacillus.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:01 PM   #8
uatuba
Recipes 

I didn't mean that I wanted to avoid fruity, necessarily...I don't want mouth-puckering sour. Sour cream and stinky cheese hearty sour is good to me, and that's what I always expected of sour beer especially since it does use the same bacteria to achieve its character (the lacto ones anyway). Everywhere I just read about Berliner Weisse used the words "lemony-citrus" and "tart," which really wasn't what I had in my mind as I said.

I know...I'm gonna have to breakdown and buy one at some point.

I like lemonade pie because of the good, smooth, and balancing sourness of the cream cheese. I hate lemonade because of the overwhelming citrus sourness of the lemons.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:09 PM   #9
Scutrbrau
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think the only way to find out which sours you like best (if any) is to start trying some. There are plenty of them that do have what I'd call a citric flavor but they aren't intense like lemonade. The funkiness you find in a gueuze is pretty interesting and intriguing. Give it a shot and see what you think. The first time I had one I almost spit it back into the glass. Now it's one of my favorite styles.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:45 AM   #10
JoppaFarms
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Funk Metal by Jester King has a sour milk taste to it. It is probably my favorite beer right now, although they have toned down the sourness in the more recent batches they've made.

Quick Reply