Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Question about aged hops.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
Paymygasbill77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Question about aged hops.

Are aged hops supposed to smell like some really funky smelling cheese or nasty feet?

I purchased some "aged hop pellets" from my lhbs and they stinK!

I am wondering if this is legit or if my lhbs is trying to get rid of some old stock.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
worksnorth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Did a quick search on here first before I replied (thought you had been taken!) but come to find out there is a time to use "aged" hops. Some Belgian beers (Lambics) are made using aged hops. I guess it's because they have lost most of their aromas but still have the preservative values for the beer.
I'm thinking that if you are brewing almost ANYTHING besides the afore mentioned you will be severely disappointed in the results. And personally... if they smell like "feet or cheese" they wouldn't be going into any beer I brew. : )
LHBS's I've been to, when they have older hops, they have the harvest date on them and what they believe the AA to be now at the current date. They call them "old" not "aged" lol
Cheers

Old 04-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
cshamilton
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If they are cheesy smelling they haven't aged enough for use in a lambic. Throw them in a paper bag and let them sit until the smell goes away. If in a hurry put them in an oven at 170F until they no longer smell bad.

My most recent recipes: http://www.brewtoad.com/brewers/191

Old 04-08-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
worksnorth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshamilton View Post
If they are cheesy smelling they haven't aged enough for use in a lambic. Throw them in a paper bag and let them sit until the smell goes away. If in a hurry put them in an oven at 170F until they no longer smell bad.
Interesting!

Old 04-09-2012, 01:47 AM   #5
Paymygasbill77
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

They smelled so bad I couldn't stand it. I pitched em! Instead I tossed some very old(not cheesy smelling) fuggles I had laying around on my dehydrator for the day.

thanks for the help guys!

Old 04-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #6
suprchunk
Fich Eine Ente
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by worksnorth View Post
Did a quick search on here first before I replied (thought you had been taken!) but come to find out there is a time to use "aged" hops. Some Belgian beers (Lambics) are made using aged hops. I guess it's because they have lost most of their aromas but still have the preservative values for the beer.
I'm thinking that if you are brewing almost ANYTHING besides the afore mentioned you will be severely disappointed in the results. And personally... if they smell like "feet or cheese" they wouldn't be going into any beer I brew. : )
LHBS's I've been to, when they have older hops, they have the harvest date on them and what they believe the AA to be now at the current date. They call them "old" not "aged" lol
Cheers
This is the LAMBIC and WILD brewing section. I would assume he is brewing a sour style which would use aged hops.

They shouldn't smell like cheese. Age them longer.

[807.2, 191.8] Apparent Rennerian

Old 04-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I aged some of my homegrown hops using the paper bag method in my hot garage. I let them sit for a couple years and didn't smell them along the way so I don't know if they ever smelled cheesy, but after a couple years there was literally no hop aroma.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #8
SHBSJon
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 30

The OP contacted me via Facebook asking about the aged hops and their aroma. There seems to be 2 camps when it comes to cheesy hops. Some that say not to use them, and others say to use them, in the proper styles of course. Many of the references to using them are on this site (likewise there are comments to the opposite). As I replied to him via FB he is entitled to a refund of the 99 cents.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #9
bigljd
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I was just reading Wild Brews this weekend and I'm pretty sure it says that cheesy smelling hops are appropriate for use in a lambic. I don't have the book with me at work so I can't find the section now, but I think cheese is OK. It adds to the complex variety of flavors you get from a lambic, and a lot of the cheesiness will get boiled off during the long boil used for lambics.

$10 DIY Stainless Hop Stopper

Old 04-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #10
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 95

My aged hops have a slight cheesy/off aroma, but to me it isn't offensive. More like dried hay. In the end I don't think aged hops are required unless you are doing a spontaneous fermentation. For most sour beers using fresh hops, but keeping the IBUs under 20.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Quick Reply