Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Quantitative assay for characteristic compounds in wild ales

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2012, 12:03 AM   #11
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 197

Quote:
Originally Posted by failbeams View Post

They want to avoid using the mass spec because they have a limited number of columns (all being used). I am talking with a few companies about making a biolog type test or a custom ELISA assay. Will hear back in a week or so
This would be an interesting project. Biolog assay maybe, but you cant make an elisa for organic compounds and volatiles like those. Although presence of certain proteins in various beers would be cool, and elis-able. If not mass spec or NMR, you would almost certainly have to use chromatography.

Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 05:01 AM   #12
JoeLindley
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjoiner View Post
I dont know if it can be tested but I love the Butyric acid in Geuze
Love it? Isn't that what makes vomit smell like vomit? I've smelled faint whiffs of it before in gueze, but I can't say I loved it.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #13
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crayfish View Post
What about an assay for species of yeast and bacteria? What would be really neat would be a qPCR assay at different time points during fermentation and conditioning to see how proportions species shift during development.
That would be an awesome doctoral project. So many questions could be asked.

Idk that anyone would be willing to give you enough money to pull it off though.

Quick Reply