Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > psuedo lambic clone sour-critique it

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #11
DarkBrood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I've been considering testing out that recipe, myself....but I also doubt that timeline. My thought was to just pull a couple of bottles by their schedule (just to see) while leaving the rest in the carboy. More time on tertiary lees certainly won't do it any harm.

You mentioned a mead as an alternative based on time available. While a mead canbe faster to finish than a proper fruit lambic, you're looking at 2-5 years versus 3-10 years. A young mead is going to be harsh, hot, possibly astringent, syrupy, cloyingly sweet, and without much of the delicate flavours and aromas that make a good mead so special. A general rule of thumb for meads is at least a year in secondary. (Of course, commercial equipment speeds it up considerably.)

Some suggestions for lady-pleasers:
Berliner Weisse (esoecially with the sweet syrups)
Strawberry Blonde (Irish Blonde base, add strawberry extract at bottling)
Witbier (for the ladies, less spice and more citrus)
Heffeweizen (for an instant hit, try cloning Banana Bread)
Belgian Singel/Patersbier/table beer (100% Belgian Pilsner malt, very light hops, pick an intetesting yeast)
Chocolate Milk Stout (lactosr and high-quality chocolate, maybe some cherries/blueberries/chiles?)
Pecan Nut Brown (pick a low-attenuating yeast to leave it sweet, add some pecan-smoked malt to disguise the beery malt flavour/aroma)
American Wheat Ale (on fruit in secondary - blueberries, strawberries, cranberries, etc)
These are all beer styles where the essential "beeriness" is minimzed while other ingredients take front stage, and all can be designed to finish quite sweet, through yeast selection, temperature control, and possibly filtration or pasteurization.

WRITER: http://BrewsAndStews.wordpress.com TWITTER @DarkBroodBrews
PHOTOGRAPHER: http://Brian-Gibson.FineArtAmerica.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2013, 05:14 AM   #12
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2166 Times on 1464 Posts
Likes Given: 2138

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBrood View Post
Some suggestions for lady-pleasers:
Suggesting that all women like certain kinds of beer and beer with silly crap in it at that is ignorant. I try not to say stuff like this on HBT, but come on dude. It's not the 1950s or middle school. Some women like imperial stouts, some women like ipas, some women like lambic, etc, etc, etc. There is no place for making generalizations based on gender here.

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

McCoy Likes This 
Old 10-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #13
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I have a wife who's an IPA fan and her friend from work loves stout. The don't drink typical "ladypleasers" very often.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #14
NuclearRich
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervid View Post
Awesome. Thanks for the advice and responses. I don't mind doing things technical or time consuming, I just don't think it's worth the time and effort to half ass or cheat it.

I thought about using something post bottle opening to sweeten it, but I still wouldn't want to waste the money by opening it or bottling it early. I'd be better off buying a couple of bottles of the Lindeman's she likes at that point.

The Berliner might be cool. The whole point is to make her something cool myself and put a special bottle label on it. It's certainly more charming than buying a bottle of booze. She doesn't drink much but she thinks, well at least this hobby, is cool.
Why dont you make the clone, but give it a proper timeline? Just bump it a year and it'll be ready at 17 months instead of 5, and it will be all the more worth the effort (hopefully!)

Kegged - Amber (homegrown hops)
Bottled - 30th birthday barleywine, caramel gingerbread quad, doppelbock dunkel, Mulberry wit, Caramel Quad/RUMCAKE, porter, Blueberry Blonde, Amber, Single Hop Pale Ale (exp 4190), A Conan Selfie
Primary - Lambic!, IPA

Cogito Ergo Doleo

"rdwhahb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedudefromguam View Post
I thought that meant people were getting frustrated with their brews. Like- OH NO my beer is infected RHWAHAHRBLABLE!!!! OR- My beer pours all foamy RDWHAHBLARABBLE

Old 03-04-2014, 06:03 PM   #15
Potamus
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Anyone try this yet? I'm looking at trying the same recipe.

Quick Reply