Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Primary in a wine barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #11
ReverseApacheMaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

Is the barrel leaking out of the side facing the camera or is it just wet?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #12
Feurhund
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That was when I first steamed it an filled with water. It swelled up and is nice and tight now.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #13
levifunk
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 39

You can do what you want, but I can almost guarantee you are going to end up with vinegar if you use that barrel.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:53 AM   #14
Feurhund
Recipes 

Levi,

On what basis are you assuming I will get Acetobacter? The barrel had Zinfandel in it for a year and then was dumped, rinsed, dried and sulfered.

I rinsed it with boiling water and steam and it has been holding that water without loss or leak for two weeks. Why do you think it is compromised. It smelled only slightly of wine and wood, no vinegar when I got it.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:04 AM   #15
weremichael
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feurhund View Post
Levi,

On what basis are you assuming I will get Acetobacter? The barrel had Zinfandel in it for a year and then was dumped, rinsed, dried and sulfered.

I rinsed it with boiling water and steam and it has been holding that water without loss or leak for two weeks. Why do you think it is compromised. It smelled only slightly of wine and wood, no vinegar when I got it.
I think the reason why the concern for acetobacter is that if the barrel has dead space then it will be filled by O2 at some point, creating acetic acid (vinegar). I don't have Wild Brews in front of me, but I am pretty sure that lambics are primaried in the barrel. I would recommend reading that book if you want to ferment in a barrel.

In my solera, I fermented some beer with WLP550 in carboys and then transferred to the barrel with some beer fermented with Roselare. I purged the entire barrel with CO2 before I added any of the beer. The barrel did get "horny" and I had a nice mess to clean up after I filled it up.

There is a way that you could prevent the horniness from causing a huge mess. You could hook up a blow off tube to the barrel and primary that way. I would also have some beer ready to transfer in once the primary is completed. I would also recommend purging with CO2 before you add that batch to the barrel.

On the subject of the plambic/champagne debate: Champagne only comes from the Champagne region of France. If it does not come from Champagne it is considered a sparkling wine (I personally prefer sparkling wine from Oregon). Personally, I think you're cool calling it a plambic. It becomes a silly debate and one not worth having. It's beer and by its very nature should never be as pretentious as most people perceive wine.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #16
Feurhund
Recipes 

Yes. That is what I intend to do.

I just didn't understand the comment as he said he can be sure I will get vinegar with that barrel. It sounded like he was basing it on the way it looked in the photo.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #17
spearko520
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 210

it sounds like you are doing everything right- i don't get vinegar in my barrels- i do top with argon anytime i pull the bung, but there is also a pellicle in the barrel which is protecting the beer from the o2 in the headspace- as for the o2 permeating the wood and getting into the liquid- well, that's kind of the point of using a barrel for a wild beer, and is unavoidable, regardless of headspace.

"i like to drink. I do it all the time, every day."- anthony jeselnik

Old 07-10-2012, 03:31 AM   #18
Feurhund
Recipes 

Thanks for the reassurance. Levi got me a little paranoid as I though maybe he was a barrel expert and gleaned something from the photo I posted.
Really excited to get this going and just have to get some free time. I have a one gallon starter of various dregs, RR, Cantillon, Jolly Pumpkin etc, a vial of Brett trois and brux, and I have a trade in process for ECY Bugfarm. It should get pretty Horny up in there.
I will keep the thread updated as I go. Thanks for the feedback

Old 07-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #19
levifunk
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 39

lol, I am so sorry Feurhund, I got this thread crossed with a different one: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/pre...solera-339870/

You are fine! good luck!

Old 07-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #20
Feurhund
Recipes 

No worries. Just glad I have consensus that the process is sound. Now just to find the time.

Quick Reply