Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Primary and age in the same barrel?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2012, 12:30 AM   #1
Newton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Primary and age in the same barrel?

I watched Michael Jackson's Beer Hunter--Burgundies of Belgium--and if I understood him correctly, lambic brewers do primary and aging in the same barrel. Has anyone tried this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2012, 01:02 AM   #2
othellomcbane
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I believe most sour brewers don't bother racking to secondary. Brett ends up feeding on dead sacc yeast, so there's no real reason to disturb it.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
DarthMalt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by othellomcbane View Post
I believe most sour brewers don't bother racking to secondary. Brett ends up feeding on dead sacc yeast, so there's no real reason to disturb it.
Really? Many of the sour recipes I see mention a secondary. A lot are from newer sources too. For example, JZ uses a secondary in a variety of his sour recipes in BCS. Many BYO sour recipes also mention a secondary and there's even a lot of recipes on this forum that indicate the use of a secondary. I was considering leaving my Oud Bruin in primary for the entire length of the aging process, but after seeing several recipes stating otherwise, decided not to. Perhaps it's style dependent?

Old 02-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
nberk
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Leaving the beer in the primary fermentation vessel (a barrel in most traditional breweries) on the trub is what is traditionally done for lambics.

This isn't the same as other wild beers however. I believe the common homebrew lore says that you should leave lambic alone, but rack most of the other wild beers off the primary yeast cake for longer term aging/maturation. So for the Flanders Red, Oud Bruin, etc. you transfer. Of course, you'll have people on the forums stating that they never transferred their beer and it tastes great for all of these styles. I'm just commenting on what I've read about the practices of the breweries in Belgium where these styles originated. Wild Brews is a great resource if you are interested in this kind of stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Brews-Culture-Craftsmanship-Tradition/dp/0937381861/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328876828&sr=8-1

Old 02-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Keep in mind that Lambic brewers use a cool ship and I would assume that a lot of the break material gets left behind in it when they transfer out of it into the barrels. I brewed 12 gallons of a spelt pLambic with ECY20 a few weeks ago and did an overnight no-chill in a half bbl sanke. The next day, I transferred off the break material into another keg and pitched. Lots of break material got left behind.

Next: ?
Fermenting: Munich Helles v4, Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Oktoberfest v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: Mitis Saxon (brewed @ Earth - Bread + Brewery), Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Conan DIPA, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS v1 & v2, Barleywine
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Quick Reply