Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Possible Contamination Issue? Maybe....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
phroggy99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Possible Contamination Issue? Maybe....

So I am brewing a wheat extract belgian wit with Oak Chips. Everything is fermenting really well except for after a week, I decided I wanted to rack the batch to get the last of the oak chips out. When I did that, I noticed when cleaning out the carboy that with the spent yeast and oak chips, it looked like there were little, rubbery, 1/2 inch long tentacles at the bottom.

Is this something to be concerned about? Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2010, 09:21 PM   #2
cvstrat
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That sounds scary as hell lol. Did you taste the beer at all? I'd say if it looks good and tastes good you are fine. As to what that could be I'm not totally sure.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:33 AM   #3
phroggy99
Recipes 

I know. I was a bit taken aback with the whole thing. It has got to be something though!

I should have taken a picture of it. It like like a little rubbery twig. I thought it could possibly have come from the Oak chips, but then it was rubbery!

I love beer and everything, but who wants to kill themselves drinking it???

Old 04-05-2010, 04:11 AM   #4
pipapat
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

most truly harmful Bactria cant live in beer, thats not too say you could not get sick though from my limited understanding.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by phroggy99 View Post
So I am brewing a wheat extract belgian wit with Oak Chips. Everything is fermenting really well except for after a week, I decided I wanted to rack the batch to get the last of the oak chips out. When I did that, I noticed when cleaning out the carboy that with the spent yeast and oak chips, it looked like there were little, rubbery, 1/2 inch long tentacles at the bottom.

Is this something to be concerned about? Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks!
This is more of a general brewing question than a "Wild/Lambic beer" question- with questions like this one you'll tend to get quicker helpful responses in other subforums here. The sours board is kinda slow. ;-)

That said, taste the beer. There is nothing that can grow in beer that will hurt you. If it tastes bad, then you may need to pitch the batch.

Did you happen to touch any of these "tentacles"? They may have just been yeast or other detritus. It's hard to say without a picture. How many of them were there?

For the future, you might consider waiting until primary fermentation is done before adding oak (or anything else, really... dry hops, flavorings, fruit, etc). Reason 1 is you lose aroma when fermentation gases go out the airlock. Reason 2 is a mostly finished beer that is full of yeast, alcohol and a lower pH is more resistant to infection than fresh wort is.

Also, the next time you use oak, I would consider soaking the chips in a 80 or 100 proof liquor for a few days before adding. You can use a neutral spirit like vodka, or you can look to add flavor with rum or bourbon, say. Another approach is to steam the chips before adding to kill any nasties on them.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Tags
contamination, problem, tentacles, wit

Quick Reply