New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Possible Brett in my wild cider, what temp to ferment?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2010, 10:31 PM   #21
emr454
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarter1227 View Post
if you follow the procedure i explained then you will not be able to carb the cider. i use this procedure for when i want to stop cider fermentation before the cider is totally dried out. essentially you are creating a stuck fermentation but stressing the yeast. if you want to carb this you might want to just carb it as usual, then once its carbed store the bottles cold for a few weeks to clear them up.

As for rewashing the yeast, its going to be a mixture of yeast strains, the brett the yeast you used for fermentation as well as any bacteria in there. one of the strains will become dominant and most likely you will have a mutated yeast strain. might turn out well, you might also find that its bad. over time it may even change but yes you can wash it the way you would with regular yeast
Well the yeast I used was caught wild from the fresh berries I added to the apple juice, so probably wild Sacch, as well as Brett.

When you used Brett in your cider, how long did you ferment, and did cold crashing cause the pellicle to drop?

Eric

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2010, 11:47 PM   #22
wcarter1227
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

The brett i used was Brett b, i fermented it for about 2 weeks and cold crashed it. the pellicle didnt form while i fermented it, however it did form while it was in the bottles.

Take a gravity sample, see how it is, if you like it now cold crash it and bottle it. The pellicle might take months to drop. Im not really sure, this was the first time ive used brett in a cider. I wanted to make a wild tasting cider without having to catch the wild yeast

primary:15 minute Cascade Pale Ale
Primary 2: Cream of 3 crops
Primary 3: Sam Adams Holiday Porter Clone
bottled:BM's Blue Balls Belgian Wit
15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale
DryHopped Cream of 3 Crops
http://hopville.com/brewer/wcarter1227

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply