Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Possible Brett in my wild cider, what temp to ferment?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2010, 12:39 PM   #1
emr454
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Possible Brett in my wild cider, what temp to ferment?

So I started a batch of cider using wild yeast from raspberries. The other day I noticed a white film and "pizza bubbles" covering the top of the cider, which another forum member in another thread said was a dead giveaway to Brett. This appeared as soon as fermentation seemed to slow down. I smelled it and it doesn't smell much different than before, except the faint acetic smell is gone now. If it is Brett, should I leave it in the basement at 70 degrees, or does Brett prefer warmer/colder temps?

I haven't checked the gravity of the cider at all since fermentation began, and I haven't tasted it either, so who knows how it will turn out.

Eric

Last edited by emr454; 07-24-2010 at 12:58 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
emr454
Recipes 

Here are a couple pics to show what this looks like. It's kind of hard to see because the Brett/film/whatever it is has coated the inside of the glass in spots, but you can see the "pizza bubbles" really well.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 265 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Wyeast lists their Bretts as 60F - 75F. But I think it will continue doing it's work at hotter or colder temps just fine.

I mean who thinks about off flavors from using Brett to warm.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
emr454
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beernik View Post
I mean who thinks about off flavors from using Brett to warm.
Very true!

This is my first experience using any type of wild yeast, much less something that may be Brett.

Eric

Old 07-24-2010, 05:32 PM   #5
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 265 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I'm still trying to culture mine.

Good luck.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:07 PM   #6
emr454
Recipes 

I was thinking of one day getting some dregs from Lindeman's Cuvee Rene and making a gallon of cider with it. Guess I don't have to now.

Eric

Old 07-25-2010, 12:35 AM   #7
wcarter1227
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

I made some cider with Brett B a few months back. I cold crashed before it ate up all the sugars. I think I stopped it at around 1.024 to make a sweet cider simular to JKS Scrumpy.

After a few months of aging in the bottles it picked up some nice mango/pinappleish flavors.

as for temp id keep it cool id try in the low 59-62 range, by any means if you intend to stop fermentation by cold crashing and racking you will be able to monitor it as it goes, brett is very hungry and will dry that cider out and fast from my experience.

Good luck

primary:15 minute Cascade Pale Ale
Primary 2: Cream of 3 crops
Primary 3: Sam Adams Holiday Porter Clone
bottled:BM's Blue Balls Belgian Wit
15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale
DryHopped Cream of 3 Crops
http://hopville.com/brewer/wcarter1227

Last edited by wcarter1227; 07-25-2010 at 12:43 AM.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:53 AM   #8
Davethebrewer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Infections in general

I am plaqued with intermittent infection, always with the same sharp, high pitched , vinegary taste. I always taste my beers at bottling and have never detected an infection going into the bottle. So infection obviously involves the bottling process.

The bottling bucket looks good and should yield constant infection if that's the culprit and this is not the case. I use the same tubes to rack from primary to secondary and never have any off taste going into the bottle.

I soak every bottle in bleach solution for 24 hrs, drain it, cap it, and then rinse before bottling. I soak my bottle fillers continually in a bleach solution. When bottling, I use hospital alcohol sanitizing solution on my freaking hands. It is always my most anticipated brew that gets it, but only about 1 in 8 to 10overall. Any ideas????!!!

Old 07-25-2010, 03:48 AM   #9
Monghetti
Recipes 

Do you have multiple fermenters Dave? I was getting an intermittent infection and found the cause to be one of my fermenters which had some damage to it. Just a thought, good luck

Old 07-25-2010, 04:06 AM   #10
Davethebrewer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I do have multiple fermentors, both of my recent infections would have been a 6.5 better bottle system as the primary, but again, I always taste these brews at bottling and have never been able to detect any off taste from what's left in the bottling bucket. Also, I never see any "ropes" or anything visually wrong with the beer. I am going to replace my bottle fillers, although I keep them continually soaking in a bleach solution.

Quick Reply