Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Plastic bucket, glass carboy or Better Bottle for lambics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #1
JoeLindley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Plastic bucket, glass carboy or Better Bottle for lambics

For those of you who have experience with lambics, do you have any recommendations for what kind of vessel(s) to use? I started my first 5-gal batch in early October with Wyeast 3278. It's been in a plastic bucket since, which makes it 8 weeks so far. I've got glass carboys and I could pick up a Better Bottle if that's what works best.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 12:58 AM   #2
bradjoiner
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Better bottles or carboys, plastic bucket's lids rubber gasket seal cant be trusted to be air tight.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I would do a plastic bucket for a month (or two in your case) and then transfer into a carboy or Better Bottle.

Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Old 01-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #4
CDGoin
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 127

OK.. Would it be OK if you use a bottling bucket as the secondary in a frig for lagering as opposed to a carboy.

I am just not a fan of the carboy.. its heavy, no spout and you have to use a funnel to fill it.. to me it seems like a messy way to do the job.

Why are they popular... ? Is it a matter of "thats the way it has been done" or is there a better reason ?

I will probably just get the Deep Wood SS carboy in the future anyway. But for this batch I was curious, if the 6 gallon bucket would work.. since its not tightly sealed.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #5
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDGoin
OK.. Would it be OK if you use a bottling bucket as the secondary in a frig for lagering as opposed to a carboy.

I am just not a fan of the carboy.. its heavy, no spout and you have to use a funnel to fill it.. to me it seems like a messy way to do the job.

Why are they popular... ? Is it a matter of "thats the way it has been done" or is there a better reason ?

I will probably just get the Deep Wood SS carboy in the future anyway. But for this batch I was curious, if the 6 gallon bucket would work.. since its not tightly sealed.
The small headspace is the main advantage of carboys over buckets and the like. Glass is impermeable to O2, nonreactive and easily cleaned with an array of chemicals.

I fill my carboy with a 1/2'' hose and a pump, personally.

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Old 01-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #6
m_stodd
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDGoin View Post

You're going to use a funnel to fill your secondary? You're supposed to keep oxygen OUT of beer.

It looks like the best option is the better bottle:
1. It's super light
2. Small opening doesn't matter since if you should use a siphon anyway. Using a funnel with mix in oxygen
3. Why do you need a spigot? Use siphon to go to bottling bucket when bottling, then use spigot from there.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #7
CDGoin
Recipes 

I prefer gravity and a spigot.. Put the fermentor up high, and the bucket low.. run the sanitized hose to the bottom of the bucket and slowly transfer.

Thats what I have been doing.. to me it seems easier and no chance of contaminating the beer in any way. Also would keep the splashing down to a minimum. Even the better bottles (Which I just found out about) have spigots.

To many bad experiences siphoning, not with beer.. but none the less..

Old 01-11-2013, 03:10 AM   #8
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

A tube is better than a funnel, I like 3/8" silicone tubing with a 1/2" autosiphon. Airtight, and you can boil the tubing for sanitation.

I've personally had issues with spigots and never had a problem with siphoning. I even bottle with an autosiphon.

To each their own though, both work fine.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:52 AM   #9
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 79

I prefer gravity, tubing and a clamp. No need for a filthy spigot or a silly autosiphon if you know what you're doing.

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Old 01-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #10
CDGoin
Recipes 

I boil the spigots prior to re-installing it after cleaning. I also then empty the iodine solution through the spigot as the last stage. Then when I go to use it, I wipe the spigots down with a an rag in iodine solution. Never have had a problem with "a filthy" spigot.

As for transfers just hook up the hose, put other end in the bucket and open the valve. Nothing simpler

And I meant using a funnel for filling the carboy as the primary, not for transferring to the secondary.

Quick Reply