Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Planning Old Ale, questions about Brett

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #11
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Sounds like its going to be good! How much of the molasses are you planning on using? I used 8oz treacle for a 5gal batch and it's definitely present, not overly so, but just right.

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Nothing Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Oktoberfest (ECY15) On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/05/05
Untappd: barrooze

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 04:59 AM   #12
tdogg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I finally brewed this beast. After trying several brett beers I decided that I wanted a decent amount of brett flavor, so I pitched a vial of White labs Brett C today, and I will pitch a buttload of wyeast Thames Valley II in a day or two so the brett can get established. the recipe is as follows:

10# maris otter
5# golden promise
12 oz brown malt
8 oz amber malt
4 oz weyermann smoked malt
12 oz black strap molasses

2 oz target hops at 60 min

Mash at 155

I boiled the first 1.5 gallons of runnings for about 40 minutes quite vigorously to caramelize some of the sugars. Then I ran the rest of the wort into the kettle for a 75 min boil.

Due to a terrible crush and the fact that I am experimenting with my process, I only hit 1.075 OG (was aiming for 1.084), but if the brett dries it out the beer should still hit about 8.5% to 9% abv.

I'll keep you guys posted!

Old 04-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #13
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogg View Post
I finally brewed this beast. After trying several brett beers I decided that I wanted a decent amount of brett flavor, so I pitched a vial of White labs Brett C today, and I will pitch a buttload of wyeast Thames Valley II in a day or two so the brett can get established.
You want to pitch the sacc yeast now. The sacc will act quicker than the Brett and consume all the O2 in the wort causing the Brett to reproduce anaerobically, which is what you want to get the traditional Brett flavors and low attenuation.

If you let the Brett get established in the wort first, you may not get the Brett flavors, and will end up with a fruity beer.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #14
tdogg
Recipes 

Good to know, Ill pitch the sacc today. It makes sense that stressing the brett with low oxygen makes it produce flavor, but I still dont understand why it doesnt attenuate as far if you pitch brett first.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #15
tdogg
Recipes 

Quick update: I racked this into secondary yesterday and it tasted great! Slight hint of smoke, lots of molasses and caramel. I didn't get a gravity reading as my hydrometer was out in the garage. The color was a nice deep amber. I was hoping for something a little darker, next time I will have to boil the first runnings harder/longer. I am thinking about trying this process (caramelizing the first gallon or so of the runnings) for a SMASH barleywine.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:53 AM   #16
tdogg
Recipes 

Update: its been about 6 months since the brewday, and i just pulled a sample. tastes very smooth, flavor is a little fruity as Calder had warned. Still very good and I will be proud to share this over the winter with friends.

question, is Brettanomyces supposed to form a pellicle? I didnt get one.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:59 AM   #17
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogg View Post
question, is Brettanomyces supposed to form a pellicle? I didnt get one.
Not always, a pellicle is often a reaction to the presence of oxygen. I've had some brett beers form wild bubbly pellicles and others that barely changed while aging.

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 10-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #18
tdogg
Recipes 

Sounds good. I want to bottle this one soon. The brett flavor is present, but hupefully it will get stronger. Would there be any point in re-innoculating with brett before bottling?

Quick Reply