The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Planning my first sour, need advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 04:57 AM   #11
JoeLindley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

In general, with microbial mixes like WLP670, a starter is not recommended. Yes, going with the 670 in primary for 5 months and then 1 month in bottles should give you what you want.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #12
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embracethefunk View Post
WLP670 will never make a beer "sour". Brettanomyces doesn't sour. Bacterias like lacto and pedio just to name a couple are souring microbes. Brettanomyces isn't a bacteria, it's a wild Sacc strain.
whoa.... brettanomyces is brettanomyces, not saccharomyces! different genus. and it will (/can) produce acetic acid when it ferments aerobically, but indeed as you point out tends to produce little to no acetic acid under anaerobic conditions. this is not my idea, it's a well characterized phenomenon of multiple brett strains

Old 01-05-2013, 03:48 AM   #13
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLindley View Post
In general, with microbial mixes like WLP670, a starter is not recommended. Yes, going with the 670 in primary for 5 months and then 1 month in bottles should give you what you want.
WLP670 is not a 'microbial mix', it is just a mixture of 2 yeasts. The sacc will be the dominant strain and reproduce aerobically, while the slower brett will be slow and be left to reproduce anaerobically ... which is what you want.

Making a starter will just strengthen the sacc (which is what you want) while the brett will not change much. For a sacc/brett mix like WLP670, I would recommend a starter; you still want the beer to get off to a decent start.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:09 AM   #14
Caleb1980
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I brewed this afternoon. Everything went smoothly, i pitched the 670 (no starter) as well as the dregs from a logsdon seizoen bretta i drank while brewing. I did my usual saison recipe bumped up with a little more dme (og 1.059) with 2oz of liberty (1@60, 1@15min) as well as some crushed peppercorns, rosehips, and peel from 1 lemon at flameout . Hopefully i'll see some activity in the morning. I'll give updates. I'm planning on 5 months in primary and 6 weeks in bottles right now, we'll see how things go. Thanks for all the help, as usual i couldn't have pulled this off (hopefully) without you guys helping me along.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #15
JoeLindley
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you're up for a classic Brett beer, you might try an Orval clone. The yeast used in primary will be available soon from White Labs: WLP510, Bastogne. Here's some info from White Labs. Orval is about $7/bottle here.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:59 AM   #16
Caleb1980
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quick update on this. I brewed it 1/4 kept in primary till bottled on 6/6. Waited 6 weeks to try one and have had several since. Came out really well. It's dry with plenty of brett and the lemon comes through surprisingly well. It was a great beer over the hot summer days. I plan on doing this or a variation of it at least once a year. I'll hang onto a few bottles as well for to see how it ages. Overall i'm very happy with my first 'wild' beer. Thanks for all the advice i got here

photo-177-.jpg  

Quick Reply