Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Planning my first sour, need advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
Caleb1980
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Planning my first sour, need advice

After several batches I thing I'm ready to start a long aging project. Sours have quickly become a favorite of mine and it's time to start one. I'm not a huge fan of Flanders reds or browns. I have really enjoyed the Logsdon saison Brett, and Anchoridge Love Buzz, as examples of what I'd like to shoot for. I'll be using an extract recipe as a base.
Any suggestions for yeasts? I would like to add the bugs to the secondays to keep my plastics clean untill I need to bottle. Still in the planning stages, but for a year or longer project I don't want to jump into anything too quickly. I also have access to both of those beers if adding dreggs would be an option.Thanks for any advice
Caleb

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 04:53 AM   #2
JoeLindley
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A nice yeast mix is wlp670, sacc + brett. It will make a good, funky farmhouse ale using a saison or biere de garde recipe. You won't need a year, but 5 months in a single fermenter would be good.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:21 AM   #3
Caleb1980
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

thanks! that's exactly what i'm going for (a funky farmhouse saison) i'll see if the local shop can order it for me if not i'll search the web. Getting excited for this project.

Edit: So, could i just brew a saison as usual and add the 670 after a week? I could leave it in primary or transfer it to a secondary. Also, if i buy a bottle of the Logsdon on the day i add the yeast could i just toss in the last of the bottle (at the same time as the 670)? Sorry about the beginner questions. This is all new to me.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Here's a good thread on WLP670.

Cliff notes: add it like every other yeast in the primary. Leave it in the primary. Yes, you can add bottle dregs.
Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Old 01-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
JoeLindley
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Brandon had a nice post on this yeast.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
RobertRGeorge
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Adding that WLP 670 didn't make a "sour" for me, though the beer did taste like it had run off Luther's boots. I had a batch of cream ale that I felt had been contaminated, and I tasted it against the saisson that used the 670, and darned if they weren't quite similar. Guess I've got an extra 5 gallons of farmhouse ale!

Old 01-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
Embracethefunk
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRGeorge View Post
Adding that WLP 670 didn't make a "sour" for me, though the beer did taste like it had run off Luther's boots. I had a batch of cream ale that I felt had been contaminated, and I tasted it against the saisson that used the 670, and darned if they weren't quite similar. Guess I've got an extra 5 gallons of farmhouse ale!
WLP670 will never make a beer "sour". Brettanomyces doesn't sour. Bacterias like lacto and pedio just to name a couple are souring microbes. Brettanomyces isn't a bacteria, it's a wild Sacc strain.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:49 PM   #8
Embracethefunk
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb1980 View Post
After several batches I thing I'm ready to start a long aging project. Sours have quickly become a favorite of mine and it's time to start one. I'm not a huge fan of Flanders reds or browns. I have really enjoyed the Logsdon saison Brett, and Anchoridge Love Buzz, as examples of what I'd like to shoot for. I'll be using an extract recipe as a base.
Any suggestions for yeasts? I would like to add the bugs to the secondays to keep my plastics clean untill I need to bottle. Still in the planning stages, but for a year or longer project I don't want to jump into anything too quickly. I also have access to both of those beers if adding dreggs would be an option.Thanks for any advice
Caleb
Gabe gave the exact recipe for Love Buzz in my interview with him last year:
http://embracethefunk.com/2012/03/09...any-qa-recipe/

Old 01-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #9
RobertRGeorge
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embracethefunk View Post
WLP670 will never make a beer "sour". Brettanomyces doesn't sour. Bacterias like lacto and pedio just to name a couple are souring microbes. Brettanomyces isn't a bacteria, it's a wild Sacc strain.
Yeah, I was just responding to the WLP part.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:23 AM   #10
Caleb1980
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the replys! I did manage to find some 670 at the local shop, although it says best by 1.9.13. That's cutting it awful close, should i bring up a starter? Otherwise, i'll be brewing my usual saison recipe, and just add the dregs of a logsdon and the vile of 670 as usual and keep it in the 5 gallon carboy for a few (4-6) months and then finish to taste. Does this sound reasonable?
Thanks for the love buzz recipe, i think i may add some peppercorns, rosehips and citrus peel to get closer to that flavor.

Quick Reply