Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Is pitching Brett C directly into primary okay?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
Marchborne
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Is pitching Brett C directly into primary okay?

Getting reacy to do my first brett, and would like to know if it's okay to pitch my brett C directly into my primary, with the trub from the saison still in there.

My reasoning is that I have one 5-gallon better bottle carboy with the BB spigot attached. I would prefer to use it for my brett secondary, so I can take small samples without disturbing the pelicle with a thief. However, this is the same carboy being used as my primary for the base saison I want to bug-up.

Will the trub be okay for the 6+ months I intend to "secondary" for, with the brett? I know leaving it a few months is okay, from all of the no-secondary debate, but what about leaving it for that long, and with the brett on top of it?

Any input appreciated, and thanks from a sour/wild newb.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
Coff
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Ive done what youre doing with a Belgian Strong, except I pitched Brett at high krausen in hopes of some extra funk. It will be fine for 6 months imo, brett actually feeds on the dead sacch cells i believe.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 324 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coff
Ive done what youre doing with a Belgian Strong, except I pitched Brett at high krausen in hopes of some extra funk. It will be fine for 6 months imo, brett actually feeds on the dead sacch cells i believe.
Yeah this was my understanding as well, the brett will eat sacch...
Old 08-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Will be ok. Make sure you remove the airlock before sampling to prevent suckback.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
Marchborne
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Many thanks, y'all! This should be a fun one, adding brett c to a citra saison with more citra dry-hopping right at the end, and hoping to get real tropical/citrus brett result.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:41 PM   #6
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchborne View Post
Getting reacy to do my first brett, and would like to know if it's okay to pitch my brett C directly into my primary, with the trub from the saison still in there.

My reasoning is that I have one 5-gallon better bottle carboy with the BB spigot attached. I would prefer to use it for my brett secondary, so I can take small samples without disturbing the pelicle with a thief. However, this is the same carboy being used as my primary for the base saison I want to bug-up.

Will the trub be okay for the 6+ months I intend to "secondary" for, with the brett? I know leaving it a few months is okay, from all of the no-secondary debate, but what about leaving it for that long, and with the brett on top of it?

Any input appreciated, and thanks from a sour/wild newb.
the formation of a pellicle is not a sure thing and if it does form disturbing it is not an issue at all. i've made about 10 sours and have seen 2-3 pellicles, poked right through them to take samples.

Quick Reply