Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Pitchin' Dregs from Jolly Pumpkin

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2011, 11:55 PM   #11
Mustangj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by phished880 View Post
I've got a bottle of La Roja from Nov 07 in my cellar, will these bugs still be effective?
When you open that bottle be ready with a couple glasses.. I've had a couple JP bottles that were over a year or two old and they were like volcanoes..I'd drink that soon.

Michigan Mashers
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/michigan-mashers/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2011, 03:15 PM   #12
boostsr20
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangj View Post
When you open that bottle be ready with a couple glasses.. I've had a couple JP bottles that were over a year or two old and they were like volcanoes..I'd drink that soon.
Their quality control has gotten a lot better in recent years but I agree, I've had 2 year old bottles from 2006 that were gushers.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:30 PM   #13
jtejedor
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prionburger View Post
jtejedor: That bottle is actually pretty fresh by JP standards. It must have been kept refrigerated for that time. I had one from that same batch just a couple weeks ago, and it developed a pretty nice sourness and funk from being stored at room temperature.
I admit I don't know much about the brewery and the descriptions on the beer don't come out and say that wild yeast is used so I figured maybe some of their beers are done without bugs. I really wanted to get oro de calabaza that has been my fav from them by far but it was $20 freaking dollars a bottle . I am making my first 2 sour beers right now and that one that had JP dregs in it is starting to get a nice pellicle, it started getting funky after only a month or two.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:49 PM   #14
beardy_mcfacialhair
Recipes 

I made the CYBI Bam Biere clone in January. I pitched a starter of Bam dregs about 3 days into fermentation. While our methods were different, mine also went sour surprisingly fast (mine never got too sour, however). I have read anecdotal accounts that oxygenated worts will encourage sourness from some brett strains much more than an unoxygenated wort. Could be that they generate more sourness under stress as well (maybe from underpitching?).

Old 06-21-2011, 01:58 AM   #15
mydementia
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghole View Post
It's my understanding that a reason why your beer is so sour is because JP doesn't ferment with the bacteria in primary. They only do that in barrels and in the bottles. So that way the lactic sour twang isn't overwhelming like you seem to have ran into. What's the pH of the sour portion right now?
3 weeks in and the dregs batch is starting to taste pretty good... you tell me... what's the pH? I think the dregs is about 3.5 and the bug-free is about 4.5... wish I could make a real measurement!!

The SG hasn't moved in either batch in 2 weeks, so I think I'm going to rack the primary batch to a bucket and blend until I like the taste, then dry hop (1 oz Liberty) and oak for a week... then keg it... should be awesome! ...and I'll probably have half the sour dregs batch left!!
Cheers!
Mike

Old 06-21-2011, 02:07 AM   #16
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 12

You're definitely between 3 and 4 and my judgement leads more towards 3. Know anyone that's a student at a university? If they're in a chem/bio class they will be able to test the pH for you with an accurate meter. If I were there I'd take a sample to school for you to get a real measurement.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:46 AM   #17
mydementia
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghole View Post
You're definitely between 3 and 4 and my judgement leads more towards 3. Know anyone that's a student at a university? If they're in a chem/bio class they will be able to test the pH for you with an accurate meter. If I were there I'd take a sample to school for you to get a real measurement.
Just sent the picture to my wife (working in the lab tonight) - she says the sour pH looks like it's closer to 3 and the 'straight' batch is 4.5... sounds to me like it's time to get this sucker kegged!!

Quick Reply