Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Pitched on roselare/dregs cake with no activity 40hrs in. HELP

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
HorseHair
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Pitched on roselare/dregs cake with no activity 40hrs in. HELP

So i pitched a brown ale base(1.052) on a 1 year old roselare cake that also had dregs from several commercial sours/brett beers and 40 hours in theres still no signs of activity. The beer the cake came from finished at 8.5% abv and im wondering if that has something to do with the issue and all the bugs are dead. Should i wait it out or run to the LHBS and grab some fresh bugs.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
bellmtbbq
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Give it one more day, then I'd start to worry. 8.5% is a little high, and I'm sure it killed the lacto, but the pedio will remain, and the smaller population of sour bacteria should counteract the increased sourness of a second generation Roselare cake.

Even if it appears like it's not moving in twenty fours, don't rack it into a new carboy, leave the old bugs there. They'll either be a nice nutrient for the new bugs to increase sour/funkyness, or maybe some wake up and help out. Who knows

Check out my blog! Lambic brewday!

Fathom Brewing

-TF

Old 03-28-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
HorseHair
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmtbbq View Post
Give it one more day, then I'd start to worry. 8.5% is a little high, and I'm sure it killed the lacto, but the pedio will remain, and the smaller population of sour bacteria should counteract the increased sourness of a second generation Roselare cake.

Even if it appears like it's not moving in twenty fours, don't rack it into a new carboy, leave the old bugs there. They'll either be a nice nutrient for the new bugs to increase sour/funkyness, or maybe some wake up and help out. Who knows

Yeah i kind of figured the lacto would be completely gone hopefully i get some movement soon.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
BryanThompson
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 11

After a year with beer on it I would have added some fresh yeast to that cake. Add a pack of US05 if you have it.

Brute Brew Works
Primary: Epic Flemish Brown(15g) waiting to go into a bourbon barrel, Brett C. Blackberry Berliner, lambic waiting for fruit
Secondary: Sour Brown Ale from Black IPA second runnings sitting on 2.5lbs. blackberries and 2.5lbs mulberries
Bottled: Traditional Mead aged on Maker's 46 soaked oak, Brett Maibock

Old 03-29-2013, 10:45 PM   #5
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 720 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanThompson View Post
After a year with beer on it I would have added some fresh yeast to that cake. Add a pack of US05 if you have it.
+1. you have no live sacc in there. pedio and lacto are slow. the Roeselare originally had sacc in it, that's what took off quickly. you need to replenish it. i believe that the sacc in Roeselare is the Achouff yeast (Ardennes by Wyeast), but any sacc should do the trick.

Drinking: galaxy/conan IPA, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 03-30-2013, 12:38 AM   #6
HorseHair
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I ended up not touching it and as of this morning there was a krausen that has grown throughout the day and it seems to be chugging along nicely. thanks for the help

Quick Reply