New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Pitched Roeslare, but how do I know it is working?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 04:56 AM   #1
BrewNinja1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Pitched Roeslare, but how do I know it is working?

Like the title says, I pitched an old pack of roeslare (it was from May, but all the LHBS had) about a week ago. Is there any way to tell if this is working? There is no pellicle, and the airlock is dead still. Is there some other kinds of signs to look for? How fast does it eat the sugars? If I took a hydro reading today then in 2 days from now, would I be able to see a change? Thanks guys!

Old 12-09-2010, 02:17 PM   #2
Oldsock
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Did you ferment the beer out before pitching the Roeselare? Gravity drops with Brett and pals are very slow, it can take weeks to see a measurable drop in gravity even when they are working. Not surprising if you don't see any activity for a few weeks/months assuming it went in after primary fermentation.

While I like Roeselare it often needs some help, especially if it is pitched into already fermented beer. I’d suggest tossing in the dregs from any tasty sour beers you drink over the next few months (good insurance if your pack was old as well).

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation (cheese, bread, ginger beer plant, and of course plenty of funky beer).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 06:13 PM   #3
BrewNinja1
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I pitched it around 1.022, so nearly finished. Good to know Im not missing anything. Gives me a good excuse to buy some other beers too...now just to find a place that sells them. Thanks for the feedback....your site is awesome too! Ive spent a lot of time on it before I started this first batch.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewninja1 View Post
your site is awesome too!
+1000

Old 12-09-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
Oldsock
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Thanks guys, always happy to talk sours.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation (cheese, bread, ginger beer plant, and of course plenty of funky beer).

Quick Reply