New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Pellicle Photo Collection




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 05:44 AM   #971
xtian116
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pomona, California
Posts: 278
Liked 61 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher

I've read a pellicle isn't really necessary, so I'll keep it sealed for now.
You are right there, but it's fun to have something to look at. I mean, come on, what else are you going to do for 6 to 18 months? I like looking at mine, so I encourage the growth. But yes, it's not necessary. If you do open it, be as sterile as humanly possible. My room is like a clean room, you can eat off of the floor, temp controlled, and very well filtered. By opening it you do risk contaminating any other beers in the general area. That's why I have two chambers and two sets of equipment.


__________________
xtian116 is offline
Brulosopher Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #972
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,418
Liked 2143 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 2103

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtian116 View Post
You are right there, but it's fun to have something to look at. I mean, come on, what else are you going to do for 6 to 18 months? I like looking at mine, so I encourage the growth. But yes, it's not necessary. If you do open it, be as sterile as humanly possible. My room is like a clean room, you can eat off of the floor, temp controlled, and very well filtered. By opening it you do risk contaminating any other beers in the general area. That's why I have two chambers and two sets of equipment.
Take it easy Howard Hughes. Opening the fermenter won't contaminate anything else. The bacteria and/or yeast aren't going to jump out and run away. You would have to have another fermenter open and then splash or in some other way physically get beer from one into the other to have any un-intended innoculation. I've been doing about half brett and/or bacteria beers and half 'clean' with the same tubing, autosiphon, thief, better bottles/carboys etc for a year and had no problems. My sour beers are in my cellar, pretty much the complete opposite of a clean room. It's a scary farmhouse basement full of junk, part of the floor is stone, and there is a prosciutto and a pancetta hanging down there.


__________________

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

TNGabe is offline
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #973
Brulosopher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 2,610
Liked 178 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtian116 View Post
You are right there, but it's fun to have something to look at. I mean, come on, what else are you going to do for 6 to 18 months? I like looking at mine, so I encourage the growth. But yes, it's not necessary. If you do open it, be as sterile as humanly possible. My room is like a clean room, you can eat off of the floor, temp controlled, and very well filtered. By opening it you do risk contaminating any other beers in the general area. That's why I have two chambers and two sets of equipment.
I want the beers (my first sours) to be as good as possible with not more aceto/vinegar flavor than is necessary; I've heard too much oxygen is culprit in many instances of this. What else am I going to do? Brew 20-30 gallons of quicker turnaround beers every month, that's what I'll do
Brulosopher is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2013, 05:14 PM   #974
xtian116
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pomona, California
Posts: 278
Liked 61 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe

Take it easy Howard Hughes. Opening the fermenter won't contaminate anything else. The bacteria and/or yeast aren't going to jump out and run away. You would have to have another fermenter open and then splash or in some other way physically get beer from one into the other to have any un-intended innoculation. I've been doing about half brett and/or bacteria beers and half 'clean' with the same tubing, autosiphon, thief, better bottles/carboys etc for a year and had no problems. My sour beers are in my cellar, pretty much the complete opposite of a clean room. It's a scary farmhouse basement full of junk, part of the floor is stone, and there is a prosciutto and a pancetta hanging down there.
I'm just afraid! I don't ever want any contamination. EVER.
Plus, when people see how clean I keep everything it makes them more willing to try "nasty" homemade beer.
__________________
xtian116 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2013, 01:05 PM   #975
jkeeton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtian116 View Post
I was freaking out until I started looking at these photos. Guess mine is doing good, just never had it look like this.


Attachment 117405

Looks like something under I microscope. Didn't even zoom.
That looks awesome. I may try to make that a background if its hi res enough!
__________________
jkeeton is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #976
WesleyS
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,067
Liked 2397 Times on 1554 Posts
Likes Given: 359

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeeton

that looks awesome. I may try to make that a background if its hi res enough!


image-2734566639.jpg
__________________

Long story short, Beer.

WesleyS is offline
sweetcell Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2013, 02:26 PM   #977
Shred
Non-Recovering Alcoholic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
Shred's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Manchester, CT
Posts: 806
Liked 132 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 181

Default

I think you might have missed a call or two

__________________

- Shred

Check out my blog!
www.ShredsHomeBrews.com

On Tap: Any Day Session IPA

Primary 1: Hopamania (aka Hop Hogan) IIPA
Primary 2: Dolph 2014 Imperial Stout
Primary 3: "Strong, Dark & Stoopid 2014" Belgian Dark Strong
Primary 4: "Cirrhosis" 20% Barleywine
Primary 5: Apricot Cascade Blonde Ale
Secondary 1: Lambic-Style Sour Ale
Secondary 2: Empty

Shred is offline
passedpawn Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #978
atoyot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
atoyot's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
Posts: 146
Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

Oud Bruin with WLP665





__________________
atoyot is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #979
Jlaw3000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 109
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Default

^ awesome, possibly my fave.

__________________
Jlaw3000 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2013, 05:20 PM   #980
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 6,391
Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default

Pulled the bung on the barrel to check things out the other day. I need to brew another batch to top up.





__________________

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

jeepinjeepin is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
That's not a pellicle...right? nostalgia Fermentation & Yeast 7 11-01-2011 12:09 AM
How long until pellicle mattyp1214 Lambic & Wild Brewing 11 10-21-2009 03:47 AM
My first pellicle! Munsoned Lambic & Wild Brewing 3 09-07-2009 05:33 PM
He ain't heavy, He's my Pellicle landhoney Home Brewing Photo Forum 16 01-02-2008 03:19 AM