The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Pellicle Photo Collection

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2013, 12:09 AM   #901
Billy-Klubb
Capt. Floccin' Awesome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2022 Times on 1337 Posts
Likes Given: 4008

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewbobaggins View Post
The pellicle on my Consecration clone looks like something out of an alien movie.
that looks like the terrain from some planet out of a Star Trek episode.

There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycr View Post
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #902
stubbornman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Supplication clone after adding cherries and oak.

image-2908079235.jpg

Old 03-22-2013, 05:46 PM   #903
TANSTAAFB
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbornman View Post
Supplication clone after adding cherries and oak.
Beautiful! I pitched supplication and consecration dregs into separate 1gal experiments and got very active primary fermentation but no pellicle development so far. Not sure why...
Bottled: Grizzly Saison, Grizzly Brett, Session Pale, Colorado Cream Ale, Cranberry Apfelwein
Primary: -37* Blue Balls Baltic Porter, Bad Dog Brown, Bohemian Pilsner
Secondary: Rarely!!!
Future: Cognitive Dissonance Cascadian Dark Ale

Old 03-23-2013, 01:18 AM   #904
racs
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Hi all, Saw the pictures and it looks like a wild yeast to me and not necessarily Brett. I'm doing a Framboise attempt and I added Brett to my secondary fermentation and have no pellicle showing, but I know Brett is there just by the smell of it (its a funky animal smell). Although on other batches I have seen this pellicle in secondary fermentation and usually I just rack and its gone. What I have noticed about this pellicle is that it adds a light mineral taste to weizen which is not very noticeable after carbonation and no off-smells. To me Brett has a sweaty horse smell and its the same in wine and in beer. Hope this helps

Old 03-23-2013, 02:46 AM   #905
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 595 Times on 446 Posts
Likes Given: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by racs View Post
Hi all, Saw the pictures and it looks like a wild yeast to me and not necessarily Brett.
sorry, which picture are you talking about? are you talking about your pellicle?

Drinking: a belgian pale ale, a belgian imperial stout, an Epic 09.09.09 clone, a brett'ed saison
Carbing: a hop-bursted APA, a citra farmhouse
Fermenting: an abbey ale (to be soured)
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured fruit saison, my "wild oats" brett/sour, a saison with a brett mix added at bottling.
Up next: TBD, probably not brewing again until july.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #906
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2144 Times on 1453 Posts
Likes Given: 2107

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANSTAAFB View Post
Beautiful! I pitched supplication and consecration dregs into separate 1gal experiments and got very active primary fermentation but no pellicle development so far. Not sure why...
Pellicles only form in the presence of oxygen. Active fermentation creates an anaerobic environment inside the fermentation vessel.

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #907
racs
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I was talking mostly about the pics posted in this thread. I've seen that stuff in some of my batches (the white filmy stuff with bubbles that don't pop). I associate that stuff with wild yeast and not necessarily Brett or bacteria. Usually when working with bacteria what happens is that beer turns murky for a while until they die off. I agree with TNGabe pellicles or veils form in the presence of oxygen. When you are in primary fermentation there is enough CO2 and activity to keep those things from forming, but when you start secondary CO2 levels go down and you start seeing veil formation. When they start forming I give it a swirl to keep them from forming or rack the hell out of them and add CO2. Wild yeast are a gamble they can give your brew something good or something nasty. I depends on what you want for your brew. In any case they are really cool and scary to work with.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #908
TANSTAAFB
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post

Pellicles only form in the presence of oxygen. Active fermentation creates an anaerobic environment inside the fermentation vessel.
Makes perfect sense. So for a small experiment where there is already CO2 from fermentation should I just leave them be or rack for longer aging? Will I still get activity from whatever bugs were in the dregs even if I can't see evidence in pellicle form? I have done one Brett fermentation but no bacteria. And I saved those dregs in a sanitized container in the fridge for several months. I got very active fermentation but not sure exactly what is working in there.
Bottled: Grizzly Saison, Grizzly Brett, Session Pale, Colorado Cream Ale, Cranberry Apfelwein
Primary: -37* Blue Balls Baltic Porter, Bad Dog Brown, Bohemian Pilsner
Secondary: Rarely!!!
Future: Cognitive Dissonance Cascadian Dark Ale

Old 03-25-2013, 04:57 AM   #909
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 595 Times on 446 Posts
Likes Given: 234

Quote:
Hi all, Saw the pictures and it looks like a wild yeast to me and not necessarily Brett.
Quote:
I was talking mostly about the pics posted in this thread. I've seen that stuff in some of my batches (the white filmy stuff with bubbles that don't pop). I associate that stuff with wild yeast and not necessarily Brett or bacteria.
looks like your experience doesn't align with most of the folks here. the vast majority of pictures in this thread are of brews that contain brett and/or other bugs that were pitched on purpose. they are not wild yeasts.

my experience with wild yeast is that they don't form pellicles at all. i've haven't read a single thing that says that wild yeasts form pellicles. no more so than brewer's yeast (saccharomyces cerevisiae).

Quote:
I'm doing a Framboise attempt and I added Brett to my secondary fermentation and have no pellicle showing, but I know Brett is there just by the smell of it (its a funky animal smell).
brett will form a pellicle in the presence of oxygen. the fact that you're not seeing a pellicle means you're doing a good job of keep oxygen out of your fermenter. if you want to see a pellicle, remove the bung for a few minutes, re-seal, and wait a few days.

i have two one-gallon jugs of saison to which i added brett. one formed a pellicle, the other didn't. i guess one had a better seal, or somehow managed to expel the oxygen while the other didn't.

Drinking: a belgian pale ale, a belgian imperial stout, an Epic 09.09.09 clone, a brett'ed saison
Carbing: a hop-bursted APA, a citra farmhouse
Fermenting: an abbey ale (to be soured)
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured fruit saison, my "wild oats" brett/sour, a saison with a brett mix added at bottling.
Up next: TBD, probably not brewing again until july.
People Like This 
Old 03-26-2013, 12:18 AM   #910
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Um, isn't Brett a type of wild yeast?

You guys mean native wild yeast?

Other than that little nitpick, I agree with sweetcell.

1. Dry Stout 2. Dry Stout 3. Cali Common 4. Cali Common 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. none 3. none 4. none
Bottled:
About 58 gallons of beer & 4.2 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Imperial Bourbon Barrel Oatmeal Stout x2, Belgian Dubbel, German Pils (lagering), Oatmeal Blonde x2

Quick Reply