The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Pellicle Photo Collection

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2011, 02:13 AM   #81
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 122

On Black Friday, I brewed an old ale with Wyeast 9097 (it has an english ale yeast strain and a Brett strain). Secondaried with oak cubes, and tertiaried for bulk aging. There was nothing for quite some time, but when I checked on it this week, I finally saw the starting of a pellicle! Just thought I'd share it with you guys!

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Nothing Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Oktoberfest (ECY15) On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/05/05
Untappd: barrooze

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #82
Barc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Nice. Mine with 9097 still doesn't have a pellicle but no worries. If I shine a flashlight on the surface, I can still see tiny CO2 bubbles popping at the surface!

Old 01-30-2011, 10:08 PM   #83
barrooze
Recipes 

Delete!

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Nothing Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Oktoberfest (ECY15) On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/05/05

Last edited by barrooze; 01-30-2011 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Wasn't finished typing! Dang phone keyboard!

Old 01-30-2011, 10:09 PM   #84
barrooze
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barc View Post
Nice. Mine with 9097 still doesn't have a pellicle but no worries. If I shine a flashlight on the surface, I can still see tiny CO2 bubbles popping at the surface!
When did you brew it? It's been over two months since I put mine in the primary. When primary was done, I racked onto oak cubes for about ten days, then racked off of the cubes for bulk aging. It's been about 4.5 weeks since I racked to tertiary and I'm just now seeing the pellicle. I did the tertiary only because I did want some oxidation as the style allows it and I wanted some oxygen for the Brett to work on.

What type of fermenter do you have it in?

Old 01-30-2011, 10:32 PM   #85
Barc
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrooze View Post
When did you brew it? It's been over two months since I put mine in the primary. When primary was done, I racked onto oak cubes for about ten days, then racked off of the cubes for bulk aging. It's been about 4.5 weeks since I racked to tertiary and I'm just now seeing the pellicle. I did the tertiary only because I did want some oxidation as the style allows it and I wanted some oxygen for the Brett to work on.

What type of fermenter do you have it in?
I brewed it right around 11/11. I moved it to secondary quite a while ago. Brett doesn't need oxygen as far as I know. It just puts up a protective coating (the pellicle) in the presence of O2. It might help to put some O2 in solution for it to use but I would think it might risk oxidation.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:30 AM   #86
Hoosier
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Brett likes micro oxygenation over an extended secondary. Thats why the barrel is perfect for them. I use the Raj Apte method using an aged oak dowel in my experimental funks. Google "raj apte flanders" and it will pull up his site. Great info!

Proud supporter of Brett, Lacto, Pedio and all the other critters your brewing friends warn you about.
www.thebrewingnetwork.com

Old 01-31-2011, 05:39 AM   #87
Hoosier
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Here is the link

http://www2.parc.com/emdl/members/ap...shredale.shtml

Proud supporter of Brett, Lacto, Pedio and all the other critters your brewing friends warn you about.
www.thebrewingnetwork.com

Old 01-31-2011, 04:38 PM   #88
jpoder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Here are my pics. It was very thin/flaky (and without any bubbles) until I put a pound of amber candi sugar (diluted in about a quart of water) back in December. Now it looks spectacular!

See my thread about this brew HERE

Old 02-07-2011, 05:59 PM   #89
phuzle
Recipes 

I made a beer and fermented with WL sour mix. There is a strange brown layer on it, but nothing too interesting. I made a saison and wanted to add some of the brett and bugs from the first beer, so after a 10 day hot fermentation with saison yeast, I stuck a bit of the trub from beer one into the racked saison. I noticed the pellicle after (I think) 5 days, and started taking photos after that. These photos are from that day through today in case anyone wants to see the growth.

Last edited by phuzle; 02-07-2011 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Sorry the images are so big, I don't have the software to shrink them correctly

Old 02-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #90
jpoder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

looks awesome! especially the last one. How long was it from first photo to last?

Last edited by jpoder; 02-07-2011 at 07:31 PM. Reason: re-read the last post and corrected my comment

Quick Reply