Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Pellicle Photo Collection
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #691
natural320
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bucks Co PA
Posts: 76
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

at the advice of some other members, here is what is going on in my fermenter:

weird bubbles by natural320, on Flickr

it is simply Costco apple juice and a harvested slurry of Wyeast 3068. I was going for a simple cider (like I've done many times before), but returned from a week long vacation to see that.

totally unintentional, I have no idea what it is, but a sample taste was only tart...not puckering sour or anything like that.

__________________
natural320 is offline
JordanThomas Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #692
2brew1cup
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 235
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural320

it is simply Costco apple juice and a harvested slurry of Wyeast 3068. I was going for a simple cider (like I've done many times before), but returned from a week long vacation to see that.

totally unintentional, I have no idea what it is, but a sample taste was only tart...not puckering sour or anything like that.
Made this same exact cider yeast combo. It was amazing young but became miserable with age.
__________________

Breakers of the world, Unite!

2brew1cup is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #693
natural320
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bucks Co PA
Posts: 76
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

and I take it that it didn't look like this during your ferment, right?

__________________
natural320 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #694
2brew1cup
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 235
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural320
and I take it that it didn't look like this during your ferment, right?
That is correct.
__________________

Breakers of the world, Unite!

2brew1cup is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #695
mutedog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 118
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrooze View Post
Interesting. I did a spontaneous ferment for this one. Left it in the boil kettle overnight next to some rose bushes with cheesecloth covering the opening so maybe that's the driver here.
I just read in The Art of Fermentation that yeast that makes a thready layer like this is know as Kahm yeast and it's common on the surface water of vegetable ferments like pickles or kraut. I'm not finding out a lot of information about Kahm yeast, or what sort of species it might be. Mine only made a thready pellicle like that when exposed to air.
__________________

Maker of weird beers

mutedog is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #696
acidrain23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 354
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Foreign Extra Stout, with funky pellicle!

Is this Brett contamination? Lacto? Something worse?

__________________
acidrain23 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #697
barrooze
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pearland, TX
Posts: 2,336
Liked 112 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutedog View Post
I just read in The Art of Fermentation that yeast that makes a thready layer like this is know as Kahm yeast and it's common on the surface water of vegetable ferments like pickles or kraut. I'm not finding out a lot of information about Kahm yeast, or what sort of species it might be. Mine only made a thready pellicle like that when exposed to air.
When I tried the beer after it was fermented, it had a very weird, slightly unpleasant aftertaste I attributed to the wild yeast. It only went down to 1.026, but I mashed at 160 to ensure lots of food for the bacteria to eat over the next several months. The CO2 had a terrible odor during primary as well. You can still get a weird aftertaste from this one, but I'm hoping the souring really knocks it down. Time will tell.
__________________
Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (Belle Saison), Festbier (ECY15), BOSON Prime (Brett Oaked saiSON), Night Howl Pumpkin Ale Primary: None Souring: Sour Brown (ECY01), BOSON on Rhubarb On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Zombie Dust clone Updated: 2014/11/18
Untappd: barrooze
barrooze is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #698
mutedog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 118
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrooze View Post
When I tried the beer after it was fermented, it had a very weird, slightly unpleasant aftertaste I attributed to the wild yeast. It only went down to 1.026, but I mashed at 160 to ensure lots of food for the bacteria to eat over the next several months. The CO2 had a terrible odor during primary as well. You can still get a weird aftertaste from this one, but I'm hoping the souring really knocks it down. Time will tell.
My first batch with it had a bit of a farm yard/grassy sort of taste/aroma to it But that hasn't shown up in any subsequent batches with the yeast.
__________________

Maker of weird beers

mutedog is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #699
lunshbox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Gastonia, North Carolina
Posts: 128
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidrain23
Foreign Extra Stout, with funky pellicle!

Is this Brett contamination? Lacto? Something worse?
Looks like brett and lacto. For some reason, I have done three brett beers and always get the same kind of rocky bubbles. I only get the white pellicle when lacto is added.
__________________
Primary: Old Bootlegger Imperial Porter, Mill Worker's Breakfast Oatmeal Coffee Porter
Secondary: Oud Bruin, Berlinner Weisse, Apfelwein
Barrel: Whiskey :P
Kegged: Mill Worker's Breakfast Base
Planned: Pure-T Pale with Citra, G-Town Brown 2.1, Muddy Banks Irish Red
lunshbox is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #700
acidrain23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 354
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunshbox View Post
Looks like brett and lacto. For some reason, I have done three brett beers and always get the same kind of rocky bubbles. I only get the white pellicle when lacto is added.
Cool, thanks! I was thinking about- either 1) knocking it back with some Camden tablets and pitching some fresh yeast, OR 2) let is ride and see what happens... I guess there is always 3) dump it and clean better next time! What should I do?
__________________
acidrain23 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
That's not a pellicle...right? nostalgia Fermentation & Yeast 7 11-01-2011 01:09 AM
How long until pellicle mattyp1214 Lambic & Wild Brewing 11 10-21-2009 04:47 AM
My first pellicle! Munsoned Lambic & Wild Brewing 3 09-07-2009 06:33 PM
He ain't heavy, He's my Pellicle landhoney Home Brewing Photo Forum 16 01-02-2008 04:19 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS