Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Pellicle Photo Collection

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2010, 05:05 PM   #11
mountainslide
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

lacto after a 48hr sourmash

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2010, 11:37 PM   #12
jessup
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

nice mountainside, thanks for participating!! did you add lacto to that or is that from the grain? from the pic i don't think i've ever seen lacto like that but like i state in the OP, i don't know if there's any "standard" in regards to growth(s). that's what i'd like to know...

here one from a ways back that i wanted to throw in here. it's contributed by a user named landhoney. thread is from 2007 so this should be tasty if not all gone: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/he-aint-heavy-hes-my-pellicle-44148/ Flanders Red w/ Roselare

set I: Pale (3) -> Mild (4-5) -> amber / Victory (20-25) -> special roast (40-50) -> brown (70)
set II: pilsner (2) -> Vienna (3-4) -> Munich (8-10) -> dark Munich (20) -> aromatic / melanoiden (25-30)
encore: smoked (5)

Old 05-04-2010, 12:51 AM   #13
Oaky
Recipes 

So.... I have a lacto "infection" (making cheese and beer in the same fridge... hmm...).
How do you contain lacto if you don't want all of your beer to lambic.. And how do I know when/if I have Brett? Is it naturally occuring? Does it eat other yeasties?
I guess a bigger question is when do you have something that can make you sick? How can you tell if you're wild yeasting (other than trying the stuff?) Are there certain things that are just wrong wrong?

Old 05-04-2010, 12:53 AM   #14
mountainslide
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessup View Post
nice mountainside, thanks for participating!! did you add lacto to that or is that from the grain? from the pic i don't think i've ever seen lacto like that but like i state in the OP, i don't know if there's any "standard" in regards to growth(s). that's what i'd like to know...
That's from grain, I pitched a half pound of uncrushed two row into 6 gallons of wort. Started at 120F and dropped to 105 in 48hour sourmash. I would assume it's lacto but it could be a number of things. All I know is the wort tastes like sweet tarts.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:30 AM   #15
JacobS
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Awesome!! I've been kinda nervous about my recent brew, but the pics really helped me relax. I can't wait to give it a taste now... Doh.... Won't be ready until at least sept...

@oaky.. Very few things that are going to grow in fermenting wort will make you seriously ill. But a good bunch will make something that tastes like $#!t.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #16
jessup
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaky View Post
So.... I have a lacto "infection" (making cheese and beer in the same fridge... hmm...).
How do you contain lacto if you don't want all of your beer to lambic.. And how do I know when/if I have Brett? Is it naturally occuring? Does it eat other yeasties?
I guess a bigger question is when do you have something that can make you sick? How can you tell if you're wild yeasting (other than trying the stuff?) Are there certain things that are just wrong wrong?
That's a lot of questions that can all be answered in this Lambic and Wild Brewing section. I would start searching and finding anwers on your own since if I tell you, you won't really learn anything at all. There's a LOT to know and I recommend searching this forum as well as reading Wild Brews by Jeff Sparrow. A good place to start is: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/lambic-sour-reference-resources-172027/

and JacobS, I'm extremely happy that this thread was able to help! cheers!!

set I: Pale (3) -> Mild (4-5) -> amber / Victory (20-25) -> special roast (40-50) -> brown (70)
set II: pilsner (2) -> Vienna (3-4) -> Munich (8-10) -> dark Munich (20) -> aromatic / melanoiden (25-30)
encore: smoked (5)

Old 05-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #17
simcoe4life
Recipes 

That cranberry sour sounds awesome. That might just be the next one I do!

Secondary: Belgian Pale, Saison d'Lupulin, Farmhouse IPA

Kegged: Saison d'Lupulin

Sour Secondary: Cabernet Oud Bruin, Sour Cherry Oud Bruin, Sour Ale base, Kriek, Wild Night, Wild Night w/Blueberries, Wild Noel

Sour Cellared: Cabernet Lambic, Wild American, Merlot Lambic, Namaste Golden Ale, Saison Twenty-Three, Spring Equinox Saison, Belgian Pale, Orval Clone, Chardonnay Saison, Sour Cherry Saison, Cabernet Flemish Red, Bordeaux Lambic

Old 05-09-2010, 05:15 PM   #18
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I totally respect you sour beer lovers and your ummm.......infections

....but I just threw up a little bit in my mouth after looking at those pics.

welcherHB Likes This 
Old 05-13-2010, 01:25 AM   #19
Thor the Mighty
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

no clue in hell what got into this beer: it was an old ale that was hitting 10% on the hydrometer, and after a month of massive fermentation, the airlock settled for a bit, then started up again. confused as to what happened, i opened up the fermenter and found this.

JUST happened to another batch of freakin beer I made recently. I like sours and all but damn, it gets annoying.

You finally made it home! Draped in the flag that you fell for. And so it goes, the ashes of the wake!

Old 05-18-2010, 07:27 PM   #20
pipapat
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

dug out my camera to add too this thread.

Quick Reply