Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Pellicle Photo Collection

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2013, 03:34 PM   #1121
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2166 Times on 1464 Posts
Likes Given: 2138

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcasticHorse View Post
sorry to potentially go off track on this post but I have a oatmeal stout that had been in primary almost a month that I just noticied some huge bubbles yesterday and transferred it to secondary to get it off the yeast cake. its been less than 12 hours and bubbles are slowly returning....does this look like Pellicle?

when I transferred it smelled like a delicious oatmeal stout. the only funky thing was a small fruit fly had managed to get into the airlock and die in the vodka at the top of the primary and was floating in it, not sure if that is a clear sign.
Looks like a pellicle/krausen mix. Whatever is in there is very active.

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #1122
TANSTAAFB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
sorry to potentially go off track on this post but I have a oatmeal stout that had been in primary almost a month that I just noticied some huge bubbles yesterday and transferred it to secondary to get it off the yeast cake. its been less than 12 hours and bubbles are slowly returning....does this look like Pellicle?

when I transferred it smelled like a delicious oatmeal stout. the only funky thing was a small fruit fly had managed to get into the airlock and die in the vodka at the top of the primary and was floating in it, not sure if that is a clear sign.
That just looks like krausen and normal fermentation to me. What were the temps like over that month? Any chance the yeasty beasties fell asleep and a change in temp or moving the carboy woke em up?
Bottled: Grizzly Saison, Grizzly Brett, Session Pale, Colorado Cream Ale, Cranberry Apfelwein
Primary: -37* Blue Balls Baltic Porter, Bad Dog Brown, Bohemian Pilsner
Secondary: Rarely!!!
Future: Cognitive Dissonance Cascadian Dark Ale

Old 07-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #1123
SarcasticHorse
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yeast pitched and run about 64 for first 36 hours or so of fermentation a month ago, then a heat wave came through and our place got up to 69-70 so the yeast was pretty aggressive then stopped for a solid month. Temperature has been pretty consistently at 65-70 in our place in this period. Now that I've transferred it it definitely looks more krausen than pellicle and it smelled fine so I'll wait it out a bit and keep an eye it.

Sorry to hijack this, keep posting the sexy pellicle pics.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #1124
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 486 Posts
Likes Given: 254

IMHO: oatmeal stouts contain a lot of "gunky" material (beta glucans, etc) that form long-lasting bubbles. in any other beer, those bubbles would have burst and you'd have a clear surface. with your stout, thick & sticky beer = the bubbles last.

we now return you to your regularly-scheduled images of surface rot.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small second runnings beer
Aging: oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA
SarcasticHorse Likes This 
Old 08-02-2013, 02:52 AM   #1125
Thnikkaman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Here are our first sours. Wizenbeir with Brett.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #1126
brendan65
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My first lambic. 6 months into fermentation. Anybody know if this pellicle is good or bad? There are some grey and dark bits of stuff under. Just curious as to what experienced lambic/wild ale homebrewers have to say.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #1127
TNGabe
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan65 View Post

My first lambic. 6 months into fermentation. Anybody know if this pellicle is good or bad? There are some grey and dark bits of stuff under. Just curious as to what experienced lambic/wild ale homebrewers have to say.
I'd suggest transfering it to something less permeable than a bucket. Some folks use them for up to 6 months to get some extra o2 transfer, but longer than that and you'll probably have some issues with acetobacter, autolysis, and other off flavors.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #1128
TNGabe
Recipes 

Quote:

Have an update for us?

Old 08-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #1129
brendan65
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post
I'd suggest transfering it to something less permeable than a bucket. Some folks use them for up to 6 months to get some extra o2 transfer, but longer than that and you'll probably have some issues with acetobacter, autolysis, and other off flavors.
So when I transfer to a better bucket or glass carboy should I try to get all the sediment back in suspension before racking it? I would want to get all the bugs to go in with the liquid right?

Old 08-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #1130
TNGabe
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan65 View Post
So when I transfer to a better bucket or glass carboy should I try to get all the sediment back in suspension before racking it? I would want to get all the bugs to go in with the liquid right?
I wouldn't. There are plenty in suspension already. Most of the stuff on the bottom is protein and dead yeast. Although lambic is left of the lees, most other wild beers are not.

Quick Reply