The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Pellicle Photo Collection

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2011, 04:21 PM   #101
Morkintosh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Here is my funky porter.http://imgur.com/a/RqQu4 I pitched Reinaert starter, Cantillion dregs, Cascade Apricot dregs and RR Temptation dregs.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2011, 06:17 PM   #102
ejbru
Recipes 

http://larsenju.imgur.com

I am certainly not a photographer, but you can kind of see what is going on there.

pLambic brewed Dec. 22 2010 using a turbid mash, pitched Wyeast Lambic blend allong with Cantillon and Orval dregs. The OG came in a little low, but I didn't do anything to correct it. I plan on brewing another and stepping up the grain quantity a little bit.

EDIT: Fixed the year.

Last edited by ejbru; 02-25-2011 at 02:56 PM.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:09 AM   #103
smellysell
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejbru View Post
http://larsenju.imgur.com

I am certainly not a photographer, but you can kind of see what is going on there.

pLambic brewed Dec. 22 2011 using a turbid mash, pitched Wyeast Lambic blend allong with Cantillon and Orval dregs. The OG came in a little low, but I didn't do anything to correct it. I plan on brewing another and stepping up the grain quantity a little bit.
Hopefully the carboy didn't slosh to much on your ride back in the Delorean!

I heart sour beer

Old 02-25-2011, 02:54 PM   #104
ejbru
Recipes 

Shouldn't be a problem, I will use the flying feature, it is remarkably smooth. Good call though, Dec. 22 2010.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:07 PM   #105
Almighty
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts

I have a few
Bavic Petrus dregs in a pale unhopped wort. It goes through several phases. I am not an expert but I believe the first is Lacto and then actually pedio.

Lacto - Day 1

Close-up

8 months later it looks like pedio (ropy)

Close-up

Russian River dregs in Belgian Strong wort - 2 months

Allagash Confluence dregs

Cantillion Kreik dregs with tart cherries

Jolly Pumpkin Bam Noire dregs - 6 months

Close-up

Background info on each and more pics on my blog.
http://jeffreycrane.blogspot.com

Old 02-27-2011, 12:57 AM   #106
B-Dub
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Very nice pictures Almighty! I need to get my hands on some Petrus Aged Pale again. I love that stuff.

BW

Old 03-09-2011, 06:08 AM   #107
merlotsj
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Lets see if this works - 1st Post, also first pLambic:

Pellicle Pic 1

Pellicle Pic 2

Pellicle Pic 3

Beer was brewed 10/23/10, using a turbid mash and aged hops. Cooled naturally in the boil kettle overnight, with a square of plywood over the kettle to keep critters out. Moved beer into carboy and pitched Wyeast Lambic blend the next day. I also had some oak that I threw in a starter in November 09, I tossed the dredges of about 6 or 8 different belgium beers in with it during Nov and Dec '09 - a mix of lambics, at least 1 gueze(sp), and a couple of Abbey ales of various types. It has been sitting in a dark corner since, seal on the airlock not broken. I noticed the traub starting to get consumed a few weeks before the pellicle started to form (about 6 weeks ago). I looks to be about 1/3 gone by my estimate:

Pic 4

I plan on letting it sit until October, when I believe it will go into oak barrels with fruit (sitting on 3 x 6 liter oak barrels I've had since December '09). I plan on brewing another batch that will go into this carboy, with the oak cubes sitting in this one now, and whatever I decide to pitch then. Hopefully I'm on the right track with it.

Last edited by merlotsj; 03-09-2011 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Photos not working with IMG tags

Old 03-09-2011, 08:34 PM   #108
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 122

It sounds like you guys are sour masters! I've got my old ale souring now and am wondering if you can give me tips on when I'll know to bottle it. I've heard that when the pellicle falls it's ready to package. Is this generally true? I've got a comp in May and was hoping to bottle in April. If the pellicle doesn't fall by then and I bottle anyways, what may happen?

Thanks!

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Nothing Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Oktoberfest (ECY15) On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/05/05
Untappd: barrooze

Old 03-09-2011, 09:53 PM   #109
Barc
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Pellicles aren't magical indicators. They can happen in 12 weeks and sometimes you may not get one at all (or only a slight indication of one as I can attest to right now) depending on how much oxygen is getting in there. They can fall if you move the carboy. Does that mean the beer is done especially if you've only had it in there a few months? Some of us will have pellicles that won't fall on their own even months after the beer is technically "done fermenting" if they are in a place they aren't disturbed.

Check your gravity now then again in 2 weeks then again in 2 more weeks. If it is stable, it is probably "done." That's really the only way you're going to have a good feeling about bottling, imo. It will mature over time, however, and it won't be the same beer a year from now. And it may be a beer you'll want to submit to next year's competition, or the year after!

Old 03-10-2011, 01:00 AM   #110
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Great info. Thanks! I'm sure the SG won't change much over the next couple weeks as it's been in a fermenter since late Nov, however I'll take the reading today and again in 2 weeks just to make sure. Thanks again!

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Nothing Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Oktoberfest (ECY15) On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/05/05
Untappd: barrooze

Quick Reply