Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Pellicle in Belgian IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 02:51 AM   #11
Calder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 276 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploppythesausage View Post
I was asking whether it would keep 'certain' infections at bay. I am under the impression that a high amount of hops favours sacc over other yeasts (such as lacto - hence low hopping rates in lambic), and am trying to establish what 'infection' it could be.

Brett seems the likely one - no brett has come into contact with this bucket and it was sanitised before use, however it may have come indirectly from somewhere else (i did make a mango sour with orval dregs a while back). So it's possibly been sitting chewing its way through a badly-washed piece of kit.
The acids in hops have preservative qualities, and will hold back many forms of both Lacto and Pedio. I'm not sure how much of the oils you get in solution by dry hopping. Most hop oils are insoluble in wort, that's why we boil them, to try and isomerize the oils to get them to dissolve.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 01:02 PM   #12
ploppythesausage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Bottled this yesterday and poured myself a wee glass of flat beer. Seriously tasty stuff - like a citrusy Orval (with Cascade and Nelson hops). Definitely Brett going on in there, fruity funkiness mixes well with the hops and grape juice, and there is a slight sourness that is difficult to tell apart from the hoppy bitterness. Tastes like the best white wine I never had. Saved a gallon in a glass demijohn (I ran out of bottles), might toss some oak in there and see how it goes.

As to where the brett came from all I can think of is that I made a mango ipa with orval dregs 6 months ago. The only piece of equipment in common was the siphon wand which i left in one of my ferementing buckets. I can only assume i didn't wash either of them thoroughly enough and the brett from the siphon wand has been chewing it's way through some sugar in the bucket. And i'm quite happy it did

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply