The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Pediococcus and Lactobacillus - Together?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #11
Apoxbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

edit: think i'm going to try pitching the lacto into the entire wort volume then pasteurizing. just trying to figure out the best way to keep 5 gallons at 120 degrees! LOL

i'll think of something.

On Tap - The Tunguska Event, Cream Ale
On Tap - Devastated Sky, CDA
On Tap - Fallow Fields, Autumn Ale
On Tap - East Creek Sour Wheat, Sour Wheat Ale
Fermenting - Nothing :(

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 11:35 PM   #12
pohldogg
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What kind of beer are you trying to brew? Shooting for lactic acid only is really just going to berliner weisse whatever your style is, and as noted already not a real deep or complex flavor. The brett's pretty important to the sour beer flavor. There are plenty of non-sour brett beers, but outside of the BW I can't think of any non-bretted sours. I think the shortcut method to a really good sour is the holy grail of homebrewing.

You can get a bucket, racking cane, and tubing for like $20, the results of doing it right would be worth it.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:40 PM   #13
Apoxbrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

it's not so much the equipment... it's the time. LOL. i don't know i have the patience for an 18 month fermentation!!! hehehehehehe.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #14
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

You could sour with lacto or lacto and pedio along with a brett primary fermentation and finish your beer in 2 months. It won't have the brett profile of a beer that has matured for 12-18 months but it would get you a lot closer to what you want without the time.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:10 PM   #15
Apoxbrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

so do you mean to do an initial sour witht he lacto and pedio, then pasteurize and pitch brett and let ride for 2 months? or do you mean to just pitch the roeselare blend (all 3 bugs) and let it ride for 2 months?

Old 04-29-2011, 09:27 PM   #16
Oldsock
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by pohldogg View Post
What kind of beer are you trying to brew? Shooting for lactic acid only is really just going to berliner weisse whatever your style is, and as noted already not a real deep or complex flavor. The brett's pretty important to the sour beer flavor. There are plenty of non-sour brett beers, but outside of the BW I can't think of any non-bretted sours. I think the shortcut method to a really good sour is the holy grail of homebrewing.

You can get a bucket, racking cane, and tubing for like $20, the results of doing it right would be worth it.
Cascade makes some great sours without Brett, they tend to get their complexity using fruit, barrel character, and/or complex malt bills. They took first and second in barrel aged sours at GABF two years ago. Not my favorite style of sours, but there is a lot more than just Berliner you can do with Lacto (and I actually like some Brett in my Berliners.)

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 04-29-2011, 10:31 PM   #17
BenjaminBier
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I wrapped a heating pad that I got from Rite-Aid in a towel and placed it under my bucket during the sour mash. The fermometer read a consistent 100F over 72 hours, so it was probably a bit warmer in the middle. The "high" setting, which against my skin didn't feel particularly hot, seemed to keep the mash nice and warm.

pandas are bears

Old 04-30-2011, 03:35 PM   #18
jtakacs
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

same sour mash set up i use. works perfectly.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:57 PM   #19
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by byproxy View Post
so do you mean to do an initial sour witht he lacto and pedio, then pasteurize and pitch brett and let ride for 2 months? or do you mean to just pitch the roeselare blend (all 3 bugs) and let it ride for 2 months?
Either sour mash pre-boil or post-boil and pasteurize, then pitch just brett for fermentation. Let it sit for 2-3 months.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:20 PM   #20
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think the key with lacto is to let it get the funk on without the yeast, since as soon as you get above 3% ABV the lacto are done. My last Berliner Weiss came out pretty nice, I pitched a 2L starter of lacto into one fermenter and pitched a 2L starter of White Labs Brett C into the other fermenter. After it sat for 2 months I racked half of each fermenter into a keg, and let the brett finish fermenting it out in the keg. At 5 months it tastes great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Quick Reply