New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Oxygen and sours

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2009, 03:57 PM   #11
wetherel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Although I like a little vinegar (alcohol + O2 + Brett/Acetobacter = acetic acid = vinegar) in sour beers, like Rodenbach. I really don't like the ethyl acetate (nail polish) (acetic acid + alcohol + Brett? = Ethyl acetate) aroma that often accompanies it. Rodenbach has somehow gotten around the nail polish, while it's pretty strong in other sours (Deschutes Green Monster, Valley Brew Mutha-Pucka, etc.) Because of this, I really try to avoid O2, and rely on sourness from lactic acid bugs.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2009, 04:24 PM   #12
Oldsock
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetherel View Post
Although I like a little vinegar (alcohol + O2 + Brett/Acetobacter = acetic acid = vinegar) in sour beers, like Rodenbach. I really don't like the ethyl acetate (nail polish) (acetic acid + alcohol + Brett? = Ethyl acetate) aroma that often accompanies it. Rodenbach has somehow gotten around the nail polish, while it's pretty strong in other sours (Deschutes Green Monster, Valley Brew Mutha-Pucka, etc.) Because of this, I really try to avoid O2, and rely on sourness from lactic acid bugs.
Agreed, but if you want a little acetic edge without the risk you can always blend in some vinegar to taste at bottling.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation (cheese, bread, ginger beer plant, and of course plenty of funky beer).

Old 11-04-2009, 06:41 PM   #13
wetherel
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
Agreed, but if you want a little acetic edge without the risk you can always blend in some vinegar to taste at bottling.
I totally agree, and I'm glad you said it. I got a hard time last time I mentioned it. It also avoids other negative effects of oxidation: cardboard, muting of malt characteristics, etc. I guess it would be coolest if you could make some homemade malt vinegar and use it.

Last edited by wetherel; 11-04-2009 at 06:43 PM.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:51 PM   #14
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 9

A fact to keep in mind....

The Roselare blend does not have any acetobacter in it. The vinegar notes that can show up from this blend are from the brett. But, it still needs O2 contact to produce the acetic acid. (However, I am pretty sure the barrels at Rodenbach do indeed have acetobacter.)

Old 11-06-2009, 11:38 AM   #15
jessup
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

thanks so much for the info. i guess the only thing left to do is rerack to a carboy. i never woulda guessed the plastic itself in the bucket was permeable, i always assumed any O2 was coming in through the lid and into the headspace of the bucket. interesting.

thanks again!

Quick Reply