Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > old wine barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2010, 07:12 PM   #11
PiMaxC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I didn't mean try and keep the smoke in the barrel while it ferments, I just thought it would get a nice coating of flavor on the wood that would then e transfered to the beer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2010, 07:30 PM   #12
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 64

There isn't much to it, just follow any recipe that sounds good and age it in the barrel instead of a carboy/bucket/keg. Make sure to fill up the barrel all the way at the start (more head space leads to more acetic acid). When you are done you can just rack another beer in there.

I've never used homebrew size barrels, the supposed downside is that they let in more oxygen (thinner wood, higher surface to volume ratio) but they are certainly easier to deal with than full size barrels.

Should be fun, good luck.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 02-25-2010, 09:44 PM   #13
jessup
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiMaxC View Post
I didn't mean try and keep the smoke in the barrel while it ferments, I just thought it would get a nice coating of flavor on the wood that would then e transfered to the beer
sorry didn't mean to go on a tangent. that sounds like a cool experiment. like freshly charring the staves i bought a 3 gal oak barrel on ebay last spring and have been playing with it since then. some good, some failures. the barrel from the group buy in the classifieds section seems much, much better in quality, and 5 gal taboot

anyhow, you can only find out by trying yourself. as stated previously in this thread it's hard to find too much specific into on oak barrels and yada yada scenario you might come across. you kinda learn as you go as with most things unless anyone knows of any good books on the subject???

Old 02-25-2010, 10:21 PM   #14
poundedintouse
Recipes 

Default Brewing network.

Don't know much myself, but a few weeks back on the Brewing Network Sunday Show Vinny from Russian River was the guest and he had tons of info to share about wild brews and oak aging. I found it fascinating and dense with great info. You can get all the past shows for free as podcasts on Itunes. This would be a great resource.

Quick Reply