Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Oily sheen on Flanders Red

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #1
rhoadsrage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Oily sheen on Flanders Red

I have a Flanders Red I brewer about 6 years ago. I have a few bottles left and it is still quite tasty. I open a bottle last night that had two little white lumps on top but more oddly it had an oily sheen instead of a head. Still had a nice gentle carbonation. I used the Roeselare Ale Blend and a pretty straight forward grain bill. Are there some critters that cause that?

Wyeast website said Roeselare contains: a sherry strain, two Brettanomyces strains, a Lactobacillus culture, and a Pediococcus culture. I could see the sherry strain causing the white bits that floated on top?

My candle burns at both ends; it will not last the night; but ah, my foes and oh, my friends it gives a lovely light. Edna st. Vincent

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
Nanobru
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Those cultures contain not only yeast, but bacteria, and form a white film. The loss of carbonation is probably due to 6 years of minute gas leakage through the cap. Not too shabby for 6 years.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
rhoadsrage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah I was wondering about the bacteria. The white stuff was like little flecks of white the size of a pencil eraser. They were compact which made me think of sherry flor but either way they didn't make the beer taste bad.

My candle burns at both ends; it will not last the night; but ah, my foes and oh, my friends it gives a lovely light. Edna st. Vincent

Quick Reply