Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Northern Brewer Chateau Northern troubleshoot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
JRdaSconnie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Northern Brewer Chateau Northern troubleshoot

Looking for some advice on what to do with this beer. In the picture that I hopefully attached, you'll see my warming chamber with my sours in it. Left 5g carboy is my all grain pLambic brewed last August (doing well, clarified, tart, nice pellicle), the troubled partial mash pLambic kit that my wife brewed (not clear despite being brewed in January), a 3g batch of full spontaneous coolship wild ale brewed this weekend, and a 1g hopefully lacto-soured Mild (pitched handful of grain in it). We used the Wyeast Lambic Blend for both the 5g batches and the trouble one went through a vigorous primary. It has never cleared and shows no signs of pellicle. The sludge on carboy is from the krausen. I've even used a wine thief to move some liquid from mine to try to infect it. I know patience is key with these, but this one just looks stuck. Temp is holding at 67 degrees in the chamber. Any thoughts on what is going on here?? Thanks!

2012-04-22_14-15-52_179.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 03:37 AM   #2
JRdaSconnie
Recipes 

Anybody?? C'mon, why is this beer hazy and scuzzy looking? Or at least the wrong kind of scuzzy looking? Also, the coolship wild ale has yet to show any activity. I need some infections!

Old 04-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
coldrain
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I brewed the same kit in December, 2011 and it looks similar to yours. After 1 month at 68-70F I moved it to cellar at about 55F. The instructions state up to 3yrs to finish, so you have a long way to go.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:24 AM   #4
spearko520
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 210

i think i would exercise some patience- i've brewed the same recipe and had one clear up and one be hazy - it just looks cloudy to me- if it was scuzzy it would be in a guns and roses jean jacket. How long did you have the three gallon one in the coolship? Maybe add some dregs (although that may defeat what you're trying to do)? None of my beers get pellicles in glass until i put in an oak dowell- but i don't mess with them too much either. hang in there!

"i like to drink. I do it all the time, every day."- anthony jeselnik

Old 04-26-2012, 01:39 AM   #5
badlee
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I think you were nuts to brew a beer that could take up to 3 years mate

Quick Reply