Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > No Hop Berliner Weisse

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2013, 01:09 AM   #11
Ibrewaletx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Brew-tuber homebeerbrewey made a batch of beer from his pond water- and it still maintained some "pond" taste in the final product- but he's still kicking & making youtube videos!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #12
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyes88 View Post
Ok, so I did 5 gallons with the WL Lacto at about 90 degrees for 5 days. Added dry German ale yeast and gave it a day. Gravity reading went from 1.036 down to 1.010. It's not that sour, fermentation was very fizzy. I hope I have not poisoned myself drinking this.
Keyes, how long do you plan on letting this sit before bottling/kegging?

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 06-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #13
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 190 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I can't think of a good reason to add hops to a Berliner weisse as a homebrewer (to get label approval, commercial "beers" have to have hops). As was said the primary "preservative" power of hops is their inhibition of Lactobacillus, which isn't something that is desirable in this case (as it is in spontaneous fermentations).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyes88 View Post
Ok, so I did 5 gallons with the WL Lacto at about 90 degrees for 5 days. Added dry German ale yeast and gave it a day. Gravity reading went from 1.036 down to 1.010. It's not that sour, fermentation was very fizzy. I hope I have not poisoned myself drinking this.
Sadly White Labs Lacto produces very little sourness. I fermented with nothing but, and a year later the beer tastes like an American wheat not a Berliner.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 06-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #14
inflictor-of-grimness
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

When do you even add hops to get any IBU if you're doing no boil? I have a berliner souring right now, and I ordered hops for it, but I think once it's sour I'm just going to pasteurize the liquid, forget about the hops, and pitch some yeast.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #15
brewguyver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

[QUOTE="Oldsock"
Sadly White Labs Lacto produces very little sourness. I fermented with nothing but, and a year later the beer tastes like an American wheat not a Berliner.[/QUOTE]

Initially I felt this way too ... And then I had a few craft (American) Berlinners. First few sips were great, but then I noticed this growing "I just threw up in my mouth a little" type of flavor. After 12 months, my bottle conditioned white labs version (used Grolsh bottles to avoid bottle bombs) were pretty darn good. Not as sour as I wanted, but they ended up as a great summer quencher.

Brewguyver - the man who does everything wrong so you won't have to!

Old 06-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #16
Keyes88
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcHokie

Keyes, how long do you plan on letting this sit before bottling/kegging?
As soon as I hit my FG I'm going to keg it and prime the keg. Then tap it when I have the space.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #17
Keyes88
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock
I can't think of a good reason to add hops to a Berliner weisse as a homebrewer (to get label approval, commercial "beers" have to have hops). As was said the primary "preservative" power of hops is their inhibition of Lactobacillus, which isn't something that is desirable in this case (as it is in spontaneous fermentations).

Sadly White Labs Lacto produces very little sourness. I fermented with nothing but, and a year later the beer tastes like an American wheat not a Berliner.
I fermented hot, like over 90 for the 5 days and it has some tartness. I'm trying to get the ECY Berliner Blend but it hasn't been made in awhile.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #18
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 190 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewguyver View Post
Initially I felt this way too ... And then I had a few craft (American) Berlinners. First few sips were great, but then I noticed this growing "I just threw up in my mouth a little" type of flavor. After 12 months, my bottle conditioned white labs version (used Grolsh bottles to avoid bottle bombs) were pretty darn good. Not as sour as I wanted, but they ended up as a great summer quencher.
Mine is already more than a year old, sadly no budge in the sourness.

A lot of American breweries use sour mashes. Even the best ones have a bit of that objectionable flavor in my experience.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 06-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #19
Keyes88
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

If sour mashing is done at such a high temp, why isn't fermentation done at the same level??

Old 06-15-2013, 08:48 PM   #20
brewguyver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyes88
If sour mashing is done at such a high temp, why isn't fermentation done at the same level??
Typically it leads to a lot of off flavors in the fermentation. You want sour, but your base yeast could give bandaid, rubbing alcohol, etc.. However, in the mash you're looking to create a lot of lactic flavors.

Brewguyver - the man who does everything wrong so you won't have to!

Quick Reply