*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Newbie Lambic Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2011, 01:44 AM   #1
amrmedic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Newbie Lambic Question

Ok, I have been AG brewing for awhile now and want to try my hand at a nice Kriek. A question I have with open fermentation is that we want yeast and certain bacteria, but what happens to the mold and mildew found naturally in the air? Does it not also inoculate the wort? Or it does but as the beer ferments the alcohol kills it off?

Also, when making a starter from dregs, you want to leave the flask open to air correct?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2011, 02:38 AM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 993 Times on 662 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I don't think Florida has the same flora as Belgium so I'd recommend leaving both the starter and the fermenting wort closed off from the air like any other beer.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply