Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Newb - belgian cherry question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 364 Times on 256 Posts
Likes Given: 288

Default Newb - belgian cherry question

Ok - I have brewed for 15+ years, but I am not experienced in sour beers or similar. I would like to try to do some beers in this area. I recently brewed a Belgian Golden Ale. Fermented it with 1388. Primary ferment of 3 weeks. I then added 24 ounces of montmorency cherry concentrate and it is now in secondary.

I was considering bottling half of this beer as is, and taking half and possibly souring it in some way. Would this be a good candidate at this point to add lacto or brett or some yeast blend? Looking for kind of a tartness. Is this something I can do at this point in the process or should I have started earlier?

What "bug" would be best to add at this point (if any) to add the tartness I am looking for?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #2
ReverseApacheMaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

If you are just looking to add some tartness you could just toss in some lactobacillus. If you are looking for more of a funky sour like lambic or flanders red/brown you'll need to pitch and blend of brett and lactobacillus or brett/lacto/pedio. You can buy each separately but both white labs and wyeast make good blends that will get the job done for you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply