LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2012, 05:30 AM   #1
OBSCZONER
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default NEW Barrel

Hey, I have been brewing sours for a year or two now, and Am about to jump into Barrel aged Lambic, In a project where my ultimate goal is to blend an American Gueuze.

I have a brand new 6 gallon Haungarian Oak barrel. I plan to brew an English barley wine, and age that in the barrel for a few weeks, then brew another beer, not sure what yet except it will not be dark, and then age that in the barrel a few weeks. My goal from this is to extract as much color as I can from the barrel before aging my Lambic. Any suggestions on what else I can do to get rid of the color? Thank you for the time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
greyhoundbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just shooting from the hip here but what about water with a handle of cheap vodka?

Old 10-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
cardinalsfan
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think most people do it with hot/boiling water, same as you would do with oak cubes. I've got a bourbon barrel coming soon as well and plan to do one brew in it to get the bourbon flavor out, then hit it with a hot water soak a couple times until the water comes out almost clear, then it'll be my solera.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

A brand new barrel will have a lot of character to pull out before it's neutral enough to use for lambic. The barrels used for lambic have usually held wine or liquor for several years and have little or no character left. You'll need to strip a lot more than one beer and some hot water will pull out. Not to mention by pulling it out with hot water you're giving up the flavor that could go into other oaked beers.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
levifunk
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Vineyard want their wines to pick up oak tannins, so they use new barrels. Once a barrel has little to no tannins left, they have no use for the barrel. I'm not sure how many batches of beer it would take to turn your new barrel into a neutral barrel, but that is what you are looking for. Once a batch of beer no longer picks up oak tannin flavor, then its ready for you to use. At that point, give it a good wash and try to remove as much "beer" flavor from it. If the barrel has too much tannins left in it, the resulting lambic will taste very astringent. This is only multiplied by the fact you are using a 6 gallon barrel which results in greater wood contact of the lambic.

When you do get to the lambic stage with this barrel, and if you intend to age it for years to blend back for geuze, you should consider the O2 permeation of a 6 gallon barrel is much greater than the standard wine barrels used. I'd recommend waxing it:
http://funkfactorybrewing.blogspot.c...ng-barrel.html

Old 10-30-2012, 12:55 AM   #6
hermsfun
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I did something similar this past year with a new 55 gallon barrel. My friends and I brewed a higher gravity beer fermented primary in the barrel and sampled it until it was getting too oaky. We pulled that and added a Flanders red. So far it has been sitting there for 4 months and hasn't picked up too much oak. Cool pelicle too btw. Something else I looked into was barolkleen (?). I've read that it'll do a great job at stripping oak and tannins from a newer barrel. I would have done this if we were doing 55 of lambic but I thought a red could handle some oak. The oaked beer turned out awesome too btw. It's a great beer to poor in a tulip glass and let slowly warm up as you sip... Barrels are awesome, good luck!

Old 10-30-2012, 05:59 AM   #7
OBSCZONER
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you all for the replies! Sorry I have not replied, Very busy as of late and only have time to pop in and out.

I know that with a 6 gallon barrel I should be expecting more oak character and oxygen intake and whatnot, thanks for the heads up. Now I know I need to use the barrel for a while before I proceed with my Lambic all good though. I like barrel aged beers, but not so much the bourbon, or hard alcohol period. I think Im gonna throw a batch of Old vine Zin in there for a few months and then decide what to do from there. Defiantly Want to fill it with Lambic eventually though.

Somebody mentiond Waxing the barrel. I have seen many folks do this, but Im not clear on what kind of wax to use. I assume Parafilm? or something similar. Any clarity is appreciated. Once again, Thanks for the time all. I appreciate it

Also, Im not so sure of the usernames on this site, but a few of you who have replied. I do read your blogs, Great work and very informational. I appreciate you taking your time to help all of us other brewers.

Last edited by OBSCZONER; 10-30-2012 at 06:02 AM. Reason: just another mention

Old 10-31-2012, 02:40 PM   #8
levifunk
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBSCZONER View Post
Somebody mentiond Waxing the barrel. I have seen many folks do this, but Im not clear on what kind of wax to use. I assume Parafilm? or something similar. Any clarity is appreciated.
Its "paraffin wax", and I linked a blog post above describing the process. Read the comments on the page as well as there was some further discussion/calculations. For you, I'd recommend waxing the entire barrel except for the heads.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:32 AM   #9
OBSCZONER
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by levifunk View Post
Its "paraffin wax", and I linked a blog post above describing the process. Read the comments on the page as well as there was some further discussion/calculations. For you, I'd recommend waxing the entire barrel except for the heads.
Thank ya sir, This is the post I was looking for yesterday, guess I should pay more attention. thanksfor the time

Old 11-01-2012, 02:41 AM   #10
OBSCZONER
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

and just curious, why do you suggest waxing the whole barrel " for me ", Because im inexperiened? or because of my purposes or the fact that its a 6 gallon barrel

Quick Reply