Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Need to wax a 30 gallon barrel?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2014, 07:43 PM   #1
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 174

Default Need to wax a 30 gallon barrel?

Anyone have any experience with 30 gallon barrels?

Just got one and wondering how the oxygen permeability compares to 55/60 gallon barrels and if I need to wax a portion of it for long-aging sours.

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2014, 09:00 PM   #2
suprchunk
I'm in OT now!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have a two 15g barrels. I haven't waxed them, but I've only aged a stout in one for about four months. I'll be using them for sours here soon, but will still not wax them. I think the staves are about the same thickness as bigger barrels. At least they seem to be on mine. With that in mind I don't think (again, THINK) that it will allow more oxygen to enter than the same thickness bigger barrels would. Again, just speculation on my part. If I was too worried I would just flood my ferm freezer with CO2 whilst it ferments. I don't really think I would be opening that much over the course of ~3 years.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:16 PM   #3
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

This 30G feels about as beefy as a regular 60G barrel, staves look similar but perhaps slightly thinner.

I'm planning on fermenting 5-10 gallons in the barrel and then topping off with remainder after a couple weeks. It'll either go in a basement (60F yr/round) or an insulated closet area (62-69 yr/round).

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 05-02-2014, 08:04 AM   #4
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 638 Times on 474 Posts
Likes Given: 249

the issue with smaller barrels is their higher surface-to-volume ratio. the smaller the barrel, the higher relative amount of surface area it will have.

imagine a sugar cube. say each side has a surface of 1, so the total surface of the cube is 6. now double the volume by gluing on another sugar cube. does the surface area double? no, because a side of each individual cube needs to touch in order to make the new double-volume shape. the surface area is 10. if you quadrupel the volume buy gluing 4 cubes together, the surface area is 16 - volume is 4 times greater, but surface area isn't even 3 times greater.

so the reason you might want to wax a smaller barrel is to limit the relative amount of wood - a porous material - is exposed to air.

another way of looking at it: 10 gallons of beer will oxidize faster in two 5 gallon barrels, vs. being in one 10-gal barrel. therefore, in order to get the same rate of oxidation, you would need to wax part of the 5 gallons barrels.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small beer second runnings, our bruin & a few other sours
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: harvest ale with homegrown hops

Old 05-02-2014, 01:31 PM   #5
ne0t0ky0
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I waxed my 11 gallon barrel before I did my lambic style. I plan to wax all of my smaller barrels, it can't hurt.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:53 PM   #6
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
the issue with smaller barrels is their higher surface-to-volume ratio. the smaller the barrel, the higher relative amount of surface area it will have.

imagine a sugar cube. say each side has a surface of 1, so the total surface of the cube is 6. now double the volume by gluing on another sugar cube. does the surface area double? no, because a side of each individual cube needs to touch in order to make the new double-volume shape. the surface area is 10. if you quadrupel the volume buy gluing 4 cubes together, the surface area is 16 - volume is 4 times greater, but surface area isn't even 3 times greater.

so the reason you might want to wax a smaller barrel is to limit the relative amount of wood - a porous material - is exposed to air.

another way of looking at it: 10 gallons of beer will oxidize faster in two 5 gallon barrels, vs. being in one 10-gal barrel. therefore, in order to get the same rate of oxidation, you would need to wax part of the 5 gallons barrels.
I get all that. I guess I'm wondering what volume a barrel needs to be to reach that surface-to-volume tipping point, where oxygen exposure becomes negligible or acceptable, at least.

From this Wild Brews table, I'd guess that a 30 gallon barrel is in the 13-17 cc/L/yr range.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:18 PM   #7
Coff
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Im waxing both of my 15g, Im not sure why you would risk it with long term aging a mixed fermentation beer.

Blog:
http://riverwards.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @ecoffy
Instagram: @ecoff

Old 05-08-2014, 04:24 PM   #8
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coff View Post
Im waxing both of my 15g, Im not sure why you would risk it with long term aging a mixed fermentation beer.
I have no desire to bulk age 30 gallons of vinegar, so I definitely plan to wax a portion of it, if not the entire barrel.

Filling it soon. Got the first 15 gallons knocked out this past weekend: 60/40 pils/wheat, mashed high, steeped oats, 2+ hr boil, bugs, bugs, bugs

sweetcell Likes This 
Old 05-09-2014, 02:33 PM   #9
ChugachBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 84 Posts

I would be more concerned about oak character- make sure your barrel is somewhat neutral (unless you're going for oak) and base your aging time on that.

Check out my new blog brouwerijchuchach for information on fermenting beer, baking bread, pizza, and other experiments.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:59 PM   #10
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChugachBrewing View Post
I would be more concerned about oak character- make sure your barrel is somewhat neutral (unless you're going for oak) and base your aging time on that.
Its a new-to-me barrel, in its former life it aged Catoctin Creek rye whiskey, then a few cycles of a local brewery's porter. There are hints of both still present.

I fully expect the first pull to be a slightly oaky 'american wild', which I enjoy. From there, I plan on taking a solera approach over a couple years, likely pulling/replacing ~10G/year.

Quick Reply