The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > My first pellicle!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2009, 08:44 PM   #1
Munsoned
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default My first pellicle!

I just checked my Flanders Red last night to see a nice, white, powdery pellicle on the top. I've been waiting for that bad boy for over a month now. I was really starting to get worried.

I pitched the Roselare directly (did not start with Cal Ale or anything else), but have not used a wooden dowel as many others seem to have done. I was just too lazy to sanitize the thing. So, I'm just using a carboy cap on a glass carboy, and a blowoff tube.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2009, 02:17 AM   #2
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munsoned View Post
I was just too lazy to sanitize the thing. So, I'm just using a carboy cap on a glass carboy, and a blowoff tube.
Dude....its a wild beer, there are pedio, lacto, brett, sherry flor and sacch in there, i dont think you needed to worry about sanitation, anything that might get in there would be out competed by the bugs already making a home there

Old 09-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #3
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munsoned View Post
I just checked my Flanders Red last night to see a nice, white, powdery pellicle on the top. I've been waiting for that bad boy for over a month now. I was really starting to get worried.
Pellicles are not required for a beer to sour. People seem to think they failed at making a funky beer if they never see a pellicle and that is not the case. Really the only thing a pellicle shows is that there is oxygen present in the fermenter.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
Munsoned
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryane View Post
Dude....its a wild beer, there are pedio, lacto, brett, sherry flor and sacch in there, i dont think you needed to worry about sanitation, anything that might get in there would be out competed by the bugs already making a home there
Good point!

Quick Reply