Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > my bubbly tasteless infection - proposed solutions (with video!)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #21
jkendal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
i guess i should clarify that by "doesn't taste bad", i mean it doesn't have any off-flavors due to the infection (at least none that i can identify). however, the underlying beer - a big oatmeal/chocolate/coffee stout - would certainly benefit from more aging. i guess i'll be drinking this one younger than i would have otherwise liked to. and time to re-brew!
If you can't taste any off-flavors then I doubt it's infected. Just because you see weird things going on in the ferrmenter doesn't automatically mean it's infected. If it IS infected you would know by tasting it. Keep going forward in the process, treating it like any other beer and I bet it will be just fine.

EDIT: Oops - didn't see your other posts. Nevermind.

We've got provisions and lots of beer
The key word is survival on the new frontier
~ Donald Fagen

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #22
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 629 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkendal View Post
If you can't taste any off-flavors then I doubt it's infected. Just because you see weird things going on in the ferrmenter doesn't automatically mean it's infected. If it IS infected you would know by tasting it. Keep going forward in the process, treating it like any other beer and I bet it will be just fine.
that post saying that i couldn't taste anything was made early on, when this situation of mine was quite new. now that it's manifested itself in several batches, i can definitely pick out the off-flavor. that stout was the first time the infection popped up and it was robust enough to mask most of the off-flavor. more delicate beers like a saison and a belgian blond can't hide it. the off-taste appears to get worse with time in the bottle. the blond tasted fine in the bottling bucket, but a few weeks later the off-flavor was there.

thanks for your kind words of encouragement

Drinking: a hop-bursted IPA w/ Conan, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: either an imperial stout or something to use up my homegrown hops... TBD.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #23
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1639 Times on 1233 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkendal View Post

EDIT: Oops - didn't see your other posts. Nevermind.
That is wrong. Gusher, virtually the only infection I have ever had, is tasteless for a LONG time. I guess eventually it would change the flavor, but terminal problems usually pop up before then.

Quick Reply