Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > my bubbly tasteless infection - proposed solutions (with video!)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #11
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1649 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

always!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 04:26 AM   #12
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 721 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 277

bombed it with campden tonight, 1 crushed tab/gallon. gave it a mix, foam rose up from the brew (CO2 was released due to nucleation)... and the continuous rise of small bubbles stopped. campden really is the nuclear option: appears to have killed everything immediately. next up is waiting a week or two for the sulfur to dissipate, then re-yeasting with champagne yeast, priming (maybe add a little malto), and bottle.

Drinking: galaxy/conan IPA, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 09-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #13
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
bombed it with campden tonight, 1 crushed tab/gallon. gave it a mix, foam rose up from the brew (CO2 was released due to nucleation)... and the continuous rise of small bubbles stopped. campden really is the nuclear option: appears to have killed everything immediately. next up is waiting a week or two for the sulfur to dissipate, then re-yeasting with champagne yeast, priming (maybe add a little malto), and bottle.
Just out of curiosity what was your gravity before adding the campden ? did it drop anymore since your last post ?
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 09-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #14
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschecte View Post
Just out of curiosity what was your gravity before adding the campden ? did it drop anymore since your last post ?
good question - gravity had not changed. four days after racking to tertiary the gravity was still 1.015.

i hesitated for a second before adding the campden, and maybe i should have waited. in the end i didn't because there was clearly still activity going on in the FV and i didn't want to wait to find out how much lower gravity was going to drop, as i'm fairly confident it would have. if it looked at all like a normal sacc fermentation i would have waited, but this didn't.

now the question is: what will aging do, if anything? is live (but dormant) yeast required for aging to have an effect? since i killed everything off, will the beer change at all over time? or are the changes purely chemical?

it's got a pretty strong alcohol taste (8.5% ABV) that i'm hoping will fade a little with time. i could get an alcohol-tolerant yeast like wlp099, make a starter, pitch at high krausen and feed it some sugar if live yeast was required for aging. thoughts?

Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 12-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #15
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

quick update: campden didn't work. kept things quite for a day or two, but the bubbling started up again. eventually slowed down. i've bottled that batch and no bombs but it def has an unexpected taste. on the stout it actually complements the roastiness quite nicely. unfortunately the infection has shown up in my last few batches, and lighter beers don't fare well with this flavor. a belgian blond and a saison were rendered undrinkable. i threw some brett B into the saison, maybe the brett can do something interesting with the off-flavors.

i've tried replacing all my plastic once already, but i must have missed something because the infection has returned several times. maybe it's in the air. i will be replacing everything again this weekend. i've also just bought a pH meter to make sure my star san is up to snuff. if anything i mix it on the heavy side (i.e. add a touch more concentrate than called for) but that should only make the stuff even stronger.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #16
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Do you top up after boil?

something in the air could unfortunately be to blame. If you brew in a basement or garage, kitchen may be a necessary step.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #17
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
Do you top up after boil?

something in the air could unfortunately be to blame. If you brew in a basement or garage, kitchen may be a necessary step.
no top up, i'm all-grain & full boil.

i mash in the kitchen, boil outside, and ferment in the basement. the basement air/dust could indeed contain something, but the beer gets very limited exposure to the air down there - close to none at all. would have to be something extremely virulent & powerful. i used to bottle in the basement, but after suspecting that the air there might be the problem i bottled the last batch in the kitchen - and it has the taste, not too strong but it's there. the empty bottles were stored downstairs prior to bottling, maybe the star san rinse before bottling isn't sufficient to kill the bug.

i'll be going full nuclear on my next bottling run: all new plastic, bleach everything including the bottles, extended soaks in star san, etc.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #18
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
no top up, i'm all-grain & full boil.

i mash in the kitchen, boil outside, and ferment in the basement. the basement air/dust could indeed contain something, but the beer gets very limited exposure to the air down there - close to none at all. would have to be something extremely virulent & powerful. i used to bottle in the basement, but after suspecting that the air there might be the problem i bottled the last batch in the kitchen - and it has the taste, not too strong but it's there. the empty bottles were stored downstairs prior to bottling, maybe the star san rinse before bottling isn't sufficient to kill the bug.

i'll be going full nuclear on my next bottling run: all new plastic, bleach everything including the bottles, extended soaks in star san, etc.

I have a feeling that it is something else.....

Is there any exposure post boil to anything that contacted the grains?

I am sincerely sorry to hear about your problems!!

I always chill with frozen tap water ice, and so top up with it effectively. So I am sloppy by some standards. Fortunately my water and habitat are forgiving.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #19
jtejedor
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

So what is this flavor you are referring to?

Old 12-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #20
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtejedor View Post
So what is this flavor you are referring to?
i wish i could describe it. it's not like anything i've tasted in any commercial beer (for good reason, i certainly wouldn't pursue this taste on purpose!). i'll drink one tonight and make a concerted effort to describe it. stay tuned.

also, are there any BJCP judges on here? i'd like to send a few bottles to judges to see if they can ID the off-flavor.

Quick Reply